Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spice has been sick after the last 3 meals she's had. She eats and literally within 5 mins or less she sicks it back up, almost looking the same as before she ate it.
I kno chis can hav sensitive stomachs, Sugar can't eat beef at all, or too much chicken at one time with out being sick, and she's always been ok by the next day when she's been sick.
So should I be worried or do u think it will pass the same way within a day or so? Should I keep letting her eat or hold off for a bit?
If it helps at all she's just coming 11 weeks and she is 28oz in weight.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Is she eating it too fast,withour chewing it ? what food are you feeding or have you changed food,is she eating too much in one go ? If not i would take her to the vet

·
Registered
104 Posts
I vote call your vet asap. Sounds pretty violent for 11 weeks, and three meals is quite a bit. :(

Good luck! Hope it's transient!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is she eating it too fast,withour chewing it ? what food are you feeding or have you changed food,is she eating too much in one go ? If not i would take her to the vet
She does eat quite fast and she will eat Sugars food as well if she can. They are both on Hills Science Plan mini puppy, she's been fine on it until today, she was on Royal Canin wen I got her. She seems fine otherwise, still running around and playing?

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Might be worth it to try feeding her a tiny meal, and see how it goes. Also, you've switched her food, which might be upsetting her tummy. Have you tried her original food to see how she reacts?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I don't know if I'd wait too long, she is pretty tiny. Is she drinking water? Low blood sugar would be a worry too. I'd try some baby food and see if that stays down. Any of the meat ones would be OK, though I'd start with chicken. Good luck Sue

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would at least call the vet and get some advice sometimes. A call is all it takes. Try giving her 1/2 portions. More often she may. Be eating to fast and not able to digest it as fast as she eats it so smaller meals may help.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I called my vet, he said to keep trying her on v small meals and also to give her sugar so her blood sugar doesn't get too low, and if she still hasn't kept anything down by the morning to bring her in.
She has had one small meal that she has kept the majority of down, she had about 10 pieces of food and 3 came back up.
Thanks for everyone's comments x

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Does she hold on to her water or throw that up to?
How are her stools? Does she have diarrhea or bloody stools?
Is she lethargic? If some of these answers are yes, it could be Parvo.

If I were you I would not wait it out, I'd get her in to the vet's asap.
She is very young. I would not risk waiting with a puppy that age.
From personal experience, things can get ugly real fast.
I don't want to scare you, I just think you are better off being safe than sorry.

I hope with all my heart it is nothing serious and your pup will be ok.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I don't have any further advice to offer from what has already been said here. I just want to wish Spice well. I hope she is alright. Please keep us updated! :(

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Ok so I called my vet, he said to keep trying her on v small meals and also to give her sugar so her blood sugar doesn't get too low, and if she still hasn't kept anything down by the morning to bring her in.
She has had one small meal that she has kept the majority of down, she had about 10 pieces of food and 3 came back up.
Thanks for everyone's comments x
Poor girl. It's good that she's keeping some of the food down, at least. Hope that it's nothing and that she recovers quickly.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank u so much for everyone's kind messages :)

Today Spice has been fine thank God, she has kept every meal down.
Her stools were always normal and she was still drinking water, she had no other symptoms other than vomiting, but hasn't vomited since about 6pm yesterday.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
So glad little Spice seems to be good as new!! I'm sure you're still keeping a watch on her. Let us know that she continues to hold down what she eats.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahh, that's so good to hear! :hello1: I hope all continues to go well!
Thanks I'll keep u all posted x

So glad little Spice seems to be good as new!! I'm sure you're still keeping a watch on her. Let us know that she continues to hold down what she eats.
Thank u! Yes I've been watching her like a hawk today lol, she's doing fine now totally normal thankfully, hopefully she stays well, I'll keep u all posted x

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hills isn't the best food on the market...She could have a gluten allergy. I would recommended a cereal free food, such as Orijen, Acana, Applaws or Fish4dogs. I feed a mixture of them all!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hills isn't the best food on the market...She could have a gluten allergy. I would recommended a cereal free food, such as Orijen, Acana, Applaws or Fish4dogs. I feed a mixture of them all!
It may not be the best food, but it's wat my vet recommended and Sugar does well on it, the vet gave me a sample bag of it when I got her. I haven't heard of any of the foods u have mentioned? Are u in the US?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry just saw ur in Wales, where do u get those types of foods I've never seen them in my pet stores??

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm in Wales, UK.
These are the ingredients for Hills puppy small bites:
Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Brewers Rice, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lactic Acid, Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Iodized Salt, Potassium Chloride, L-lysine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Magnesium Oxide, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

These are the ingredients for Orijen.
Fresh boneless chicken*, chicken meal, fresh boneless salmon*, turkey meal, herring meal, russet potato, peas, sweet potato, fresh boneless turkey*, fresh whole eggs*, fresh chicken liver*, fresh boneless lake whitefish*, fresh boneless walleye*, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fiber, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), organic kelp, pumpkin, chicory root, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, blueberries, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

Which is 80% meat, 20% Natural foods (Like fruit and veg) and 0% Grain

I purchase all my dog food online.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts