Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been an aweful week for Midgie & I. I had to have my first root canal on Monday and Tuesday, the left side of my face was so swollen, I looked like a scary grinch (as my hubby put it). Midgie been itching excessively for her Friday shot from the second vile of 20,000 ppm of Allergy shot. Had to go yesterday to find out what's wrong with my face--got a seems like 100 numbing needles and my gum lanced to let all the infection out. Felt relief right away. Called vet to find out what to do about Midgie's next shot for today as we've had to skip shots & redo shots because of the way she's been itching. She told me to continue on schedule with the increased dose of shot or she'll never get used to the allergy shots. She told me to just give her a Benedryl 30 minutes before shot. We gave her a shot this morning at 6, now I'm a nervous wreck watching her and hoping she don't have a bad reaction to this shot. With me not feeling good, would hate to have to rush her to the vet if she breaks out!
Thought I knew what I was doing with the Benedryl. My Walmart can never get Children's Benedryl so I'm giving Midgie the Adult Benedryl. Been cutting it in half since it's 24mg a tablet. My vet says to only give her 1/4 since she's so tiny. She's almost/is 7 lbs. Vet says once a day. I thought I could give it every 8 hours or something like that. I don't give her Benedryl often. I actually let her suffer with the itching before I break down and give her one. Not sure if giving her Benedryl has counter-effects on the shots? Wish someone with experience in this area could help me. I feel so lost, scared and sick to my stomach with worry for Midgie. I know this is serious stuff and can't bear the thought of losing her to this or anything for that matter.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
oh, i'm so sorry to hear that. i've had a few root canals done and that is no fun at all :(
how long does the dr say it should be before you see some good results? i know this is very frustrating for you. Have you tried the childrens liquid benedryl. thats the kind the vet originally recommended for me to give Tootsie. but i did find it was easier for me to give her the tablet... just thought if you cant find the childrens tablet , you could try the liquid. also could you try looking in walgreens for it if walmart doesnt have it? i wish i had some good advice for you, i hope you will be able to get this under control :(

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh, i'm so sorry to hear that. i've had a few root canals done and that is no fun at all :(
how long does the dr say it should be before you see some good results? i know this is very frustrating for you. Have you tried the childrens liquid benedryl. thats the kind the vet originally recommended for me to give Tootsie. but i did find it was easier for me to give her the tablet... just thought if you cant find the childrens tablet , you could try the liquid. also could you try looking in walgreens for it if walmart doesnt have it? i wish i had some good advice for you, i hope you will be able to get this under control :(
That's wonderful info. Yes, I do need to try a different store. As soon as they lanced my gums and doubled me up on antibiotics, I got immediate relief. Even my hubby noticed the swelling went down a lot. The dr gave me some really strong pain pills and fenegrin for upset tummy, but I have yet to take them, as my pain isn't bad enough to take them.

Thank you for your concern.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Benadryl has a very wide safety margin. Just make sure that you are giving pure diphenhydramine and not a combination product. The usual dose is 1-2mg per pound so you could safely give 14mg. By halving a 24 mg, that is 12mg so that's a very normal dosage.

I actually just saw a pretty informative website on benadryl earlier! Here it is .....

Benadryl for Dogs ? The FACTS

No, benadryl won't counteract her allergy shots. It will just help relieve the itching. It's an anti-histamine. Histamine is released with itching, so it just helps with that.

I'd follow your vets advice, but I have seen benadryl given every 8 hours routinely and certainly it can be given every 12.

Good luck, I hope Midgie is feeling better and you too!!! Take care! Sounds like you have been through a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts