Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looking into information of Bijoux colour when I came upon this page.

Merle Chihuahuas

I am very worried now that Bijoux will be sick. And will have health issues especially with her eyes. I have photo of her and her eye seems lazy, I talked to the breeder he assured me it was due to age as her eyes were still learning how to properly focus. (she is four weeks old in the pictures)

The thing is that I really do trust this breeder, I was very careful about choosing him, I did a home visit. They have been breeding for conformation and personality for 30 years. They had many animals (lived on a farm) but not too many of any it wasn't a breeding operation in my eyes at all. Saw/met mom she was great could have met dad, they offered we just never got around to it. Will meet him on pick up date.

I'm worried that my baby will be sick all her life, I can't imagine putting myself through that emotional and monetary heart ache.

Please has anyone heard about merels being sick like this? They aren't breeding for merel she is being sold to me for 500 cheaper because she is a merel and cannot be registered in canada.

Any advice?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have no experience with merle chihuahuas, but I have a good friend who rescued a double merle daschund who was going to be put down because she kept getting crystals and the owner didn't want to mess with the treatment (which, just btw, is a slightly more expensive prescription dog food and voila! No more crystals!....some owners suck! :mad: ) Anyway, Terry rescued Asia, who is a wonderful little dog. She has impaired vision and impaired hearing, but it hasn't affected her quality of life in any way, and now that the crystals are under control she's one happy little girl. :D

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Are both of her parents Merle? If so, there is a greater chance that she may have health issues. However, it is not certain that she will have health problems so don't worry yourself sick. A chihuahua book I have says that there is a 20% chance of hearing or sight problems if the puppy has one Merle parent. My new puppy has a Merle mother so I share your concerns.:)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her mother is a fawn beauty I her farther the merel. I saw him now that I think of it and he seemed healthy, but I didn't get an in depth look at him.

I hope she will be ok thank you you made me feel better.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Many people have merle's and don't have any problems at all. The incidence of eye and ear problems are greater, so just be aware of that. Most merle's end up larger than the standard (6 pounds max) so be aware that he may end up a bigger boy. Other than that, just enjoy him. None of us are promised a perfect puppy! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts