Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have posted pics of how Radar sleeps in his carrier.He has a wire carrier.This is how he sleeps

You see where is nose is at that is where he had his leg stuck out at.Well the other night (I am sleeping in the living room right now LOOOONG story)I heard something so I took my flashlight and look and from his hip all the way down to his foot was stuck out of the carrier and he was having trouble getting up so I talk to him to calm him down and as I was getting up to go over (two or three steps)He got his leg back in the bed.Well I was still worried so I took him out and rub it and got him to walk around a little bit it was sore but that was it the next morning he was fine.
My Worry is he is going to get it stuck out and break it one day when we are gone or something.Right know so he don't do it again I have a little bone toy he don't play with rolled up in a blanket stuff in the hole.The hole is like where you would stick in a potty or food tray but see the carrier did not come with one.lSo My question is what can I do so him and Rascal so they don't get hurt.I would HATE for them to get hurt when I can fix it.Cause Rascal sleeps with him and also sleeps like that sometimes

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You know...I've been worrying about the same thing lately! Marley sleeps in their new crates with his front legs sticking out the bottom & I'm worried he'll hear something, jump up before he thinks to move his legs back & SNAP. UGH. I wonder if we can line the crates with something so their legs can't stick out the bottom?? Just not sure what yet...

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know...I've been worrying about the same thing lately! Marley sleeps in their new crates with his front legs sticking out the bottom & I'm worried he'll hear something, jump up before he thinks to move his legs back & SNAP. UGH. I wonder if we can line the crates with something so their legs can't stick out the bottom?? Just not sure what yet...
At least I know I am not alone.Not sure what to do either.

Something like a crib bumper for crates. I found this, would it work for you? Or a thicker pad that fits exactly to the crate that covers that area?
Side door crate
Side-Door 3 piece set Includes: Dog Crate Cover, Dog Bed, and Bumper| Dog Crate Bumpers | Dog Crate Beds

End door crate
Plush Dog Crate Mat | Dog Crate Bumpers | Dog Crate Beds
The second one looks like it might would work It looks good and thick.But I don't know he might still be able to stick his legs out.

·
Registered
946 Posts
We were just talking about the exact same thing this weekend with ours! I have 2 of the all wire crates that I loved a first, but now am questioning their safety. I also have 2 plastic crates with wire doors (where the wire is much smaller and safer) that we use. Last night we decided to ditch the all wire ones and double the crew up--so put 2 together in each plastic crate. They slept great, however that doesn't solve the needing to crate during the day situation...I wouldn't want to double them up when we're not here in case of argument. I am thinking of getting a couple more plastic crates now. I had looked at the 3 piece bumper set awhile ago (but with comfort not safety in mind) but I think if I'm spending the $$ the plastic is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Do you mean the plastic travel crates? I am always afraid they would be too hot in those. My girls sleep in the beds in the crates, that keeps their extremities away from the edges.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Do you mean the plastic travel crates? I am always afraid they would be too hot in those. My girls sleep in the beds in the crates, that keeps their extremities away from the edges.
Yes, those. I tried the beds in my wire crates too, but they still manage to kick a leg out here and there. I haven't had a problem with the heat in the plastic crates, but my A/C is always on (Florida:coolwink:) and I have good air circulation in the bedroom where the crates are.

In fact, I made my one crate into a "townhouse"! It is a bit large (was for my sheltie before) so I took 2 huge beach towels and folded them up and wrapped them with another towel to hold it all together and put it in the back of the crate to make a "loft". Now he had an upper level and a lower level to choose from and he could be closer to the side vents if he wanted---and he really loves the upper part cause he can hang (vulture) over the edge too! LOL

·
Registered
383 Posts
My hubby made a pen out of 1/4 inch masonite for our girls because I was worried about them getting their legs caught in a wire crate.
He just cut four walls tall enough that they can't jump over and used thin wood strips on the ends to fasten piano hinges to connect three sides and grooves in the ends of the open side letting me slide the fourth panel in place and then fasten it with velcro to keep it in there. I can then fold the thing up and tuck it under the couch when we don't need it.
It's not the fanciest looking thing but it works and I don't worry about injuries.
Also it cost $13.00 for the masonite sheet, about $5.00 for the piano hinges, $2.00 for velcro.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts