Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have wanted a dog since as long as I can remember, I am the only "Dog Person" in my house and am now 17 years old. I know I am ready to take care of a dog. My friend is my age and has 2 little Chihuahuas and they both love me more then him. What I am worried about is what should I do if I get one and I am at school. I don't want him going to the bathroom all over the house, I will probably keep him in my room (which is big) but, he would probably be in a play pen. Would he be alright while I am at school. Would someone need to take him out to go to the bathroom while I'm gone. I am hopefully getting him in the beginning of the summer and will try to potty train him. I am not just worried about his going to the bathroom, I am worried about him being sad and lonely. I will socialize him with a lot of people and their dogs but I am still worried about the 6 or so hours I am gone at high school. I will be going into my senior year so I might be lucky and not have to be at school for the entire six hours, but what if I am? How many hours can a Chihuahua hold it before he has to go after a meal. Let me also point out that whenever I am home I will be spending time with him or taking him over to my friend's houses. Would I be a good pet owner, I care about dogs more then anything else.

Thanks in advance if anyone answers this,
Warren Wagner

P.S.
Next year I plan to move out of my house and into an apartment with a friend who will also have a Chihuahua. They will not be lonely together, I am just worried about this year.

·
Registered
433 Posts
sounds like you have really thought this through. Might I suggest picking up some books on chihuahuas? There are lots of great titles on the chapters and amazon websites. As for potty breaks many of us have trained our chi's to use piddle pads while in the house (My Callisto is trained to them but I plan to train her for outside as well in the spring - right now its just too cold in Newfoundland). You can find a ton of info and helpful people on here. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read 4 books in the last few weeks. I know my stuff, everytime I am over at my friends house (he has 2) I am begining to train them to stop barking since his way of training them to stop was to scream: Duncan, Shut the F*** up! (not sure if swearing is aloud on this board.

I will look into these piddle pads, but from the books I read (kinda old from the library) they talked about Doggy Litter Boxes. Are these the same things?

Again, thank you very much for the help, I am thinking about this very hard cause I love Chihuahuas and don't want to screw one up.

Edit: I also see you live in Canada... That is where I plan to move, how do the little guys like it in the cold? I was always worried it would just be too much.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Edit: I also see you live in Canada... That is where I plan

I also live in Canada. Where I am now, it is -45 degrees celcius with the wind chill. It is too cold for my little chi to go outside so we are using pee pads for now. Good luck with your decision to get a chi!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
it defiantely sounds like you will be a great chi owner! I have a puppy now and what I did was get an x-pen and put the puppy's crate/carrier in the x-pen (also is teaching them crate training this is step one). on one side I have puppy pads and she has her food and toys on the other. It works.....I took the suggestion of someone on this board and got a scrap piece of vinyl flooring and that way the rugs dont get dirty. Chi's are social dogs but most of us work and they are fine 6-8 hours. When they are older they will be able to hold it. If you train both ways puppy pad and outside then on those occassions that you have to be away longer you can not worry so much.
I got a second dog to keep mine company, but you will have that you said later which is good but they may get attached to each other.

and no swearing is not allowed on this board we have some very young members plus its plain ole offensive to some so thanks for thinking of that. Maybe (bleep) might work a tad better ok :D

Cant wait to see your baby!! :wave:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Pee pads and litter boxes aren't the same thing. Litter boxes for dogs are just like kitty litter boxes but a bit bigger and pee pads are large squares of absorbent paper backed with plastic and much nicer IMO. No scooping litter or dumping litter boxes, just fold the paper up and throw it away when it needs to be changed and lay down a new one. They give your dog a place to go when you can't be home or the weather is too rotten for them to be outside.

It sounds like you will do fine with a dog. Keep reading and learning and get ready to enjoy a bundle of love.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I took the suggestion of someone on this board and got a scrap piece of vinyl flooring and that way the rugs dont get dirty
Kemo's mom that was me! :wave: I'm so glad it's working for you! :D

Warren you sound like you will be a great chi owner! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use the lid from a long under-the bed plastic storage bin. It is just the right length for Dazey's pen. Her bed, food and water are at one end and the peepee pad at the other. The lid has a lip all the way around so nothing can run or spill on the floor.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
It sounds like you will be a really great & responsible dog owner. I'm glad to hear you have thought so much about this ahead of time.

Bosco was fine on his own for 7 hours a day while we worked. We ended yo getting Lola to keep him company but he really didn't *need* company (really, we just wanted another puppy, LOL)

Anyway best of luck on your search. Oh - and by the way - my boss owns a Chihuahua and they have it litterbox trained and said it was so easy to do and a snap to clean up after.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Emurr said:
I use the lid from a long under-the bed plastic storage bin. It is just the right length for Dazey's pen. Her bed, food and water are at one end and the peepee pad at the other. The lid has a lip all the way around so nothing can run or spill on the floor.
I do the same thing! It is a great solution.

Go for it, the little one will be fine while you are gone. We are gone for 6-7 hours a day (home at lunch) and Grizzly does just fine. They adapt pretty well.

Warren, I think you will be great. You have done your research, have had interactions with other Chis and you have the love for them. Even us amateurs do well when we love them enough.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds good to me! I am 18 and am in school right now as well...I have a puppy pen in my room I set up for Gucci which has her beds, Toys, food/water and a potty box. I used a tupper ware container, and cut a doorway in it and just put the piddle pads in it and thats where she goes!

Here is a picture of Gucci's pen

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I also think you are being responsible about the puppy and have done your research. I am sixteen and I have always wanted *my* own dog. My mom and dad let me research the breed of my choice (I told them before hand I wanted a tinier dog). Since I have been working at a boarding kennel, I met a chihuahua that was staying there named Sophie and fell in love with the breed. Like you, I read books and information online. My mom helps take care of Harley during the day while I am at school (I am jr. too) and she loves him just as much as I do. In fact, my whole entire family does. :D I am grateful she has been helping me, of course our other two dogs, Dakota and Savannah helped with his housebreaking. He copied them! Anyway, I think I rambled enough. Good luck with all your research and your future puppy. :wave:

Jessica

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi Warren, Kristin and I had our dog during school for 2 years. Something you definately want to think about it is what happens when you go off to college (if this is your plan). You may be living on your own, or have to live in a dorm or be forced to live in an apartment that may not allow dogs. We dealt with this a lot, moving out of places, sneaking around with our dog, and paying a lot of money just to keep her. In addition, both of us worked part time to afford her vet bills and the cost of her care. I will be the first to admit that we probably shouldn't have kept Sadie when we found her, since a living animal should never have to be anyone's "learning experience". But we kept her despite everyone's doubts and nagging, and we both graduated (barely), and now we have 2 chihuahuas =)

Having a dog is one of the greatest experiences of your life, but it can mean that you have to make a lot of sacrifices as a student. You'll be rushing home after school to let the dog out instead of playing sports or going to a friend's house. When your friends go on trips, you have to stay home with your dog because a dog sitter is too expensive. Doing homework while your dog wants to play? Forget it! Although it might seem negative, you have to think of all the things you will possibly have to give up in order to take the best care possible of your dog, and if giving up those things is A-OK then GO FOR IT. Dog companionship is the best thing anyone can have, and I'll be the first to admit that one thing is true: once you have fallen in love with your dog, all the caveats and sacrifices seem trivial, and the inconveniences become an and everyday part of your life.

However, if for some reason you end up deciding that now isn't the best time to get a dog, maybe you could volunteer at a shelter or rescue organization, caring for and helping get these animals great homes is an awesome way to learn more about dogs and have contact with them on a daily basis.

I wish you all the best, you seem like a VERY responsible guy, and I know that you would take great care of the dog you get. From one student chihuahua lover to another, I just wanted to share my experience with you to either encourage you or to give you some more things to think about.

-Nate

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ilovesadie said:
Hi Warren, Kristin and I had our dog during school for 2 years. Something you definately want to think about it is what happens when you go off to college (if this is your plan). You may be living on your own, or have to live in a dorm or be forced to live in an apartment that may not allow dogs. We dealt with this a lot, moving out of places, sneaking around with our dog, and paying a lot of money just to keep her. In addition, both of us worked part time to afford her vet bills and the cost of her care. I will be the first to admit that we probably shouldn't have kept Sadie when we found her, since a living animal should never have to be anyone's "learning experience". But we kept her despite everyone's doubts and nagging, and we both graduated (barely), and now we have 2 chihuahuas =)

Having a dog is one of the greatest experiences of your life, but it can mean that you have to make a lot of sacrifices as a student. You'll be rushing home after school to let the dog out instead of playing sports or going to a friend's house. When your friends go on trips, you have to stay home with your dog because a dog sitter is too expensive. Doing homework while your dog wants to play? Forget it! Although it might seem negative, you have to think of all the things you will possibly have to give up in order to take the best care possible of your dog, and if giving up those things is A-OK then GO FOR IT. Dog companionship is the best thing anyone can have, and I'll be the first to admit that one thing is true: once you have fallen in love with your dog, all the caveats and sacrifices seem trivial, and the inconveniences become an and everyday part of your life.

However, if for some reason you end up deciding that now isn't the best time to get a dog, maybe you could volunteer at a shelter or rescue organization, caring for and helping get these animals great homes is an awesome way to learn more about dogs and have contact with them on a daily basis.

I wish you all the best, you seem like a VERY responsible guy, and I know that you would take great care of the dog you get. From one student chihuahua lover to another, I just wanted to share my experience with you to either encourage you or to give you some more things to think about.

-Nate
Thanks for taking the time to type that up. I plan to live in an apartment and go to college part-time. The rest of my time will be spent on writing screenplays and playing with the dog. As for money...my parents are extremely rich and have never spent a dime, but they told me that if I go to college, even part time, they will pay for the living expenses of me and my dog. So hopefully it would work out better then what happened to you and Sadie.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Hi Sc,
I am wondering how do you train your dog to 'sit' as the pose in your avatar?
I want to train my boy to do that, but just can't find way. :cry:

·
Registered
675 Posts
hi everyone... i am in exactly the same situation as warren so i found all of your advice very helpful! i love the idea of the playpen as i was worried about leaving my chi alone wandering the house, so at least i know he/she will be safe and confortable when im not there. does anybody know if these piddle pads are availiable in the UK?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts