Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many of you on the forum saw my posts last week about possibly adopting a dog that is being retired from breeding. My first pup, Lady is also a dog that was retired by the same breeder. Lady has been no problem to me at all which is why I went back to the same breeder, again seeking an adult dog. I am just curious if there are any red flags in regard to providing a "retirement" home to pup that was used to breed. The breeder is not a backyard breeder and her dogs are kept in her home. She breeds on a small scale and shows her dogs. Both Lady and the new pup are AKC registered. The new pup is three years old. He was only recently neutered.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
He will probably need to be taught house manners. Was he kept in the house? Used to wearing a belly band? Those would be questions I would ask the breeder. There will definitely be some re-training involved. But if you are patient and tolerant and consistent, I think he would work out fine! He's really handsome!

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has been wearing a belly band since being neutered and is doing well so far I am told. The breeder told me it might be several months before he can be fully trusted. She suggested using the belly band unless he is is his crate. He is crate trained but Lady is not. I do worry about him being neutered late. He was kept in the house either in a exercise pen or in a crate. He is quite a mellow fellow, well trained because he was shown. She literally put him in his little show stance and her stood there until commanded to move (that was with Lady and my cat around).

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
He sounds great! Just be aware that he will have to be in a belly band for awhile before he can be trusted in the house. And then expect accidents. It will be like potty training a puppy, even though he is an adult. It sounds like he's a fast learner, so it shouldn't take too long, but something to be aware of.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I do not think I would have a problem getting a retired breeder. There is retraining to be thought of but you would have to train a puppy as well so that would not be a big concern to me. I figure you have to train almost any dog you get to your preferences.
I would go visit several times and watch his personality and see if it is a fit for you.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm sure he'd adapt great! Especially since you said he's already used to being taken outside multiple times a day. A few of my dogs were used in (not so reputable) breeding programs and even they learned with time. Belly bands will be your best friend! Countrygaldesgigns.com is where I used to stock up! They're only around $4 including shipping and she makes custom sized ones too if you find you have a wiggler. I usually order mine 4inches wide instead of the usual 3 inches. Padded with a maxi pad they fit snug and don't slip. =) Good luck! I'm sure Lady will enjoy the company! =D

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the belly band info! I will check out the site. I keep thinking to myself, how much could a 4 pound doggie really pee (volume wise)! I really wanted a boy and girl pup but this will be my first male (assuming hubby agrees, if you read the whole thread).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts