Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys as most of you have seen on the picture threads of the homemade chicken jerky/fruits/veg i have made for Dexter, was wonderin how many of you would actually order if i started makin these to sell? it would have to be in the u.s area though since there are laws against sendin them across. i will be lookin into proper packagin, perhaps vacuum sealed? i will ship out priority mail too. they wont last as long as store-bought treats since there are no preservatives on them and will have to be kept fresh in the fridge.

any feedback will be helpful, thanks :lol:

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Well thanks for NOTHING! pff! :nmad2:
Us Canadians are no good for you?

take this! :bootyshake:

...and this! :boxing:

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lmao Ls! my silly ls i wouldnt risk it since it normally takes 2 weeks to get there :lol: would be spoiled by then

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
...sure, sure, excuses, excuses :rolleyes:

...I'm just kidding...or am I?! :coolwink:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'd probably buy some from you! I'm always on the lookout for new goodies that Pickyface over here will eat. (she's actually starting to respond when i call her that. Oh dear.)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
How do the chicken jerky treats you make compare to konas chips? About the same? If you could beat their price, then I'd probably buy some from you!!

Oh, and if you would make very thinly sliced beef kidney in the dehydrator, I would buy that for sure. ;)

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
beef kidney? o.o never had that before lol
when i took out konaschips from my bag it was oily...what do they put on it? it sticks to my hand o o dex loves them both but mine are crunchy and still smell really good. plus i put wheat germ so its a bit nutritional too

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
beef kidney? o.o never had that before lol
when i took out konaschips from my bag it was oily...what do they put on it? it sticks to my hand o o dex loves them both but mine are crunchy and still smell really good. plus i put wheat germ so its a bit nutritional too
Yeah, Brody needs the kidney for his diet. I have some frozen but was just thinking how easy it would be to have a bag of frozen dehydrated kidney in the freezer that I could just take out a piece for him a couple times a week! Fresh is always better, etc. but that would sure be convenient when I get busy! :)

I don't know what is on the konaschips. I thought they were 100% chicken only.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ohhh ill have to look into kidney. are they hard to cut? still havrnt tried beef on the machine yet just hicken fruits and veg

hmmm dont know...i thought so too

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
ohhh ill have to look into kidney. are they hard to cut? still havrnt tried beef on the machine yet just hicken fruits and veg

hmmm dont know...i thought so too
Kidneys are kind of a yucky organ. ;)

See how they have all those lobes? They are firm, but you just cut through them with a sharp knife into thin slices. Underneath is a big fatty part. I trim almost all of that fat off. I know that people dehydrate liver, which is much more squishy than kidney. So I would guess it would dehydrate pretty well? Not sure! You need to try it! :)

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bllekkkkk lol! ill have to research to see if anyone else has done it. is the smell barfy? :lol:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
bllekkkkk lol! ill have to research to see if anyone else has done it. is the smell barfy? :lol:
ha ha. I don't think that dehydrated kidneys probably have a big fan following. LOL! It would be mainly raw feeders that would want them. (Big market there though if you chose to do it.)

Some people say they have sort of a urine odor, but I have never found that to be true of the ones I have bought! I had one package that had sort of a grit on them, almost like fine sand. I rinsed them well and actually soaked them in water for awhile and then they were fine. You'd have to get fresh ones for sure. :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Kidney does not have a smell that bothers me,
and I am the type that starts to gag if something smells
funky.

As for cutting, I slice it before it's completely thawed.
With it still being a little frozen it's less bloody/squishy and
easier for me to slice into thin slices.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No, I wouldn't, not unless you had the proper permits and licenses. I spent several months looking into starting a business making homemade dog treats as well as other non food dog items. What I found out is that even selling within the US, it is ILLEGAL to make and sale homemade dog treats without being licenses with the USDA, as well as FDA, and one other place I believe. They require you to have a separate kitchen that is inspected, and you must send every variety of your treats for a guaranteed analysis report that is printed on every package. It was going to cost me around $8,000 just in permits, licenses, a LLC, and separate kitchen equipment.

I get very upset when I see people without the proper licenses and permits selling homemade dog treats. Recently someone in my area was selling treats, and one of their buyers pets got severely ill. Turns out they had well water, and used it in the treats. There was something bad in the water that the pet got sick from. The woman who sold the treats was sued by the pet owner, and was also fined thousands of dollars because she wasnt licensed.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think many people would buy them! I'd try selling them on Etsy - I see a lot of homemade treats on there and the sellers usually tend to have very good feedback!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow mydaddys lol! u dont need permits for homemade treats in ur own home. if it was at at a company and indsutrailized then yes. if u google up all u need are proper labels and you items to be sanitary. 100sof people do it and its not wrong

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
proudpey i know of etsy hehe but they take hefty fees for each sale. i just wanted to see if anyone here would be interested before i set my finances on equipment

1 - 20 of 44 Posts