Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so its totally understandable, but MAN is Oakley CRANKY. Never once has she ever showed her teeth at myself or my husband and tonight she nipped hubby on the nose when he was "begging" for kisses. The boys had been riling her up too, but it just surprised me because that's not how she is at all, it seriously seemed like she didn't even recognize him.

I feel so bad for her right now the cast makes it impossible for her to move and she's on 3 different medicines and I am sure she cannot be comfortable. The cast is rubbing on the skin at the top of her leg making it reddish/raw so not sure what to do about that as she's not even moving.

I can't believe how cranky she is though, she's not herself at all :( I can't wait for this to be over :-/

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Poor Oakley. She must feel awful. Hopefully she'll be back to herself soon!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Poor Oakley:( Cant say I blame her...she has every right to be cranky. Hopefully in couple of days she will feel better.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Try wrapping the top of the leg with guaze to stop the rubbing or put a small sock over the cast and tuck it in the top and tape it in place. Sorry she is so miserable, I know the first few days after I broke my ankle was the worst,

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw poor sweetie, she's obviously really out of sorts, the meds are probably making her wonky too. What all is she taking? I hope she starts to feel better soon. Hang in there, hun. It'll start to get better soon, I'm sure. :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Aww, poor girl. She must be miserable and not want to be bothered with. The gauze or sock tucked into her cast sounds like a good idea. I feel so bad for her.:(

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Yeah, maybe it's the meds? If she isn't normally like that, it has to be a combo of her in pain, and the meds. Poor baby. :( That's a lot for a girl to go through. I can feel for her. I'm sorry her leg is getting raw. :( In a few days I think she will be more used to the cast, and maybe easier to "manipulate." I do hope so, anyway. Bless her heart.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She has metacam, bupronex and clavanox...anti-inflamatory, pain and antibiotic, I think. The boys don't understand why she can't/doesn't want to play, and she both wants to be in my lap but in her crate. She definitely is out of it and not a happy camper. I mean seriously when I say this is the least aggressive dog on the face of the planet I mean it, I nearly died when she nipped at hubby. Bryco was in her face too which I'm sure didn't help :( Not sure what her sleeping arrangements will be tonight as her crate upstairs isn't big enough to be comfortable but the one set up down here will be best if left where it is. So I may have to pic up a bigger crate for upstairs tomorrow.

Oh btw surgery total was $1401.23. Glad we have insurance and I hope its not too tough to file everything correctly, seems like the list of what they want is LONG!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Try wrapping the top of the leg with guaze to stop the rubbing or put a small sock over the cast and tuck it in the top and tape it in place. Sorry she is so miserable, I know the first few days after I broke my ankle was the worst,
This is what I would have suggested also.
She is most probably still in alot of pain?
Her leg could be itchy?
Poor little thing, I would be cranky too if
I had just been through what she has!
I hope the next 4 weeks goes fast for
you guys :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
poor Oakley , im sure having the cast rubbing would be making her sore , one of my cats had a cast on her leg and the vet had her go back weekly for it to be removed and put back on so they could check it wasn't doing any damage , on the last week i noticed she had a bit of a smell coming from her cast and it had dropped , it was late at night so i cut it off myself and lucky i did as she had an opened wound from where it was rubbing :( , i was lucky it was the last week though and she was fully healed , she had the same sort of thing as Oakley but it was her elbow , the vet did say though that cats are quite hard to get the cast perfect .

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Oh the poor sweetie - I hope tomorrow is a better & happier day for her and she gets back to her old self again very soon.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
She has metacam, bupronex and clavanox...anti-inflamatory, pain and antibiotic, I think. The boys don't understand why she can't/doesn't want to play, and she both wants to be in my lap but in her crate. She definitely is out of it and not a happy camper. I mean seriously when I say this is the least aggressive dog on the face of the planet I mean it, I nearly died when she nipped at hubby.
Aw poor hubby getting nipped. Dogs can definitely act very unlike themselves when they're in pain. It must be so scary and confusing for them. They're feeling so bad and have no idea what the heck is going on. I know it's so hard seeing her act unlike herself though. :( I'm sure even as early as tomorrow she'll be much more herself personality wise.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Aww, poor Oakley! She really must be hurting & totally confused with the pain/med combo. I feel bad for your hubby...no matter how easy it is to understand her being out of sorts, I'm sure his feelings were hurt.

I hope tomorrow she feels a bit better & is more her sweet self.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aww, poor Oakley! She really must be hurting & totally confused with the pain/med combo. I feel bad for your hubby...no matter how easy it is to understand her being out of sorts, I'm sure his feelings were hurt.

I hope tomorrow she feels a bit better & is more her sweet self.
Me too! I know it must be the meds, and I hate the thought of her being in pain :( She always gives hubby kisses and will hold out on me just to be a brat ... but not tonight. She is on all of the meds til the end of this week, and 2 of them for 2 weeks...I hope she's not super out of sorts for that long :(

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh my sweet Oakley :( kristi put some Vaseline or 8 hour cream if you have it on the raw skin it'll act like a barrier!!

Hey I show my teeth when I'm tired I would have too she's prob just uncomfortable

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Awww....poor little baby. That just breaks my heart. Pain will make them do crazy things, and aggression is a big indicator of pain.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts