Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

So yesterday, I took Luna for her third round of vaccines, and compared to last time, she was a devil!! :shock: As soon as the vet came in, she got really nervous, and when she touched her she whined and barked and would not keep still. The vet had to get a assistant to hold her for her shots, which she screamed about long after we left the office. It just seemed so weird to me, how she acted. Last time she barely made a sound. I can't help but wonder if this is how it's always going to be. :( I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. How do you get your Chi to calm down for the vet? Is it a socialization thing?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Hi :wave:
she is getting wise to it now, she will of remembered last time. Triny was the same with me she was great getting weighed but after she was microchiped she didn't like the vet at all. :cry:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
mine are very calm at the vet's but scared ...i also think they will just remember their last visit :? so there's is a good chance they don't like to go there from now on ...

kisses nat

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Sounds like she remembered the last visit LOL One of my dogs cries if I even drive down the street where the vet is and our vet is 30 miles away ! LOL

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
She knows when you walk in that she is there for a shot...

Gadget was perfect his first shot visit.. but the second thiord and forth time he was a little edgy...

When he gothis second to the last set of shots we were going to do his chip.. but the vet said lets wait til next time... because he knew that if he had a bad time that time it would be even harder for his last 2 shots...

so the last time he went in he got his last parvo, rabies, and chip... welll,

the techs laughed at the vet when he said he wanted 2 of them to hold Gadget... well it was a very wise ything the vet did... because Gadget was not liking it at all...

but he did well...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Angel is pretty calm at the vet but definitely not happy about it. She will stand on the table while they do their stuff and as soon as they are done, she will leap onto my chest and stay glued there. LOL

She was real good about her first shot too but after that she was clearly unhappy about going back. And after she was spayed, she really, REALLY disliked going to the vet.

I think most of the time they get over it somewhat but they will always know where they are going and why.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The only time Chico has ever really freaked at the vet was when I took him to get his stiches out after having him nuetered. He not only cried everytime the vet touched him he also bit the guy.
Since then I have changed vets and Chico cries when he gets his but only a little and he still goes right to the doctor everytime so I guess he doesn't hold it against him.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Does your vet give the shots in the muscle? That really hurts so if he does do it that way ask him to give it under the skin next time.

A vet I had in the past gave shots in the muscle. I only went to him once because my poor Chi couldn' t walk for 3 days after her shots. She was so sore.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I think they are just smart enough to know the stuuf that happens at the vet is not good in their opinion. We all know that what's best for us isn't always something we want to do. Auggie hates going to the vet. He doesn't bite or anything , he just gets scared Poor Luna :wave:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Wish I knew what to tell you. The first time I took Diego to the vet's, he was a perfect angel. The second time he was not a happy camper, but we dealt with it. This third time was terrible. He wouldn't let the vet get near him! He was trying to crawl onto my back to get away from her. He was so scared, the fur on his back was standing up and he was snarling and biting. We tried to muzzle him, but no luck, so she had an assistant hold him in a vice-like grip. The vet and I both left with bandages on our fingers. I felt so embarassed. :oops: She told me they refer to most chihuahuas that come in as 'little piranhas'. I'm scared of what's going to happen next time, or what I can do to stop this behavior.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bijou said:
Does your vet give the shots in the muscle? That really hurts so if he does do it that way ask him to give it under the skin next time.

A vet I had in the past gave shots in the muscle. I only went to him once because my poor Chi couldn' t walk for 3 days after her shots. She was so sore.
No, I think it's under the skin.

I think they are just smart enough to know the stuuf that happens at the vet is not good in their opinion. We all know that what's best for us isn't always something we want to do. Auggie hates going to the vet. He doesn't bite or anything , he just gets scared Poor Luna
Yes, you're probably right. I just wish I could make it easier for her and the vet. :(

Wish I knew what to tell you. The first time I took Diego to the vet's, he was a perfect angel. The second time he was not a happy camper, but we dealt with it. This third time was terrible. He wouldn't let the vet get near him! He was trying to crawl onto my back to get away from her. He was so scared, the fur on his back was standing up and he was snarling and biting. We tried to muzzle him, but no luck, so she had an assistant hold him in a vice-like grip. The vet and I both left with bandages on our fingers. I felt so embarassed. She told me they refer to most chihuahuas that come in as 'little piranhas'. I'm scared of what's going to happen next time, or what I can do to stop this behavior.
:eek: I'm sorry about that. She hasn't actually started biting anyone yet, although it's possible. But I hope Luna doesn't get that bad. :(

·
Registered
615 Posts
I agree that none of them probably enjoy going to the vets. Do you get excited to go to the doctors? I sure don't!

Amber is actually great at the vets. Shes so scared she is like petrified and just stands there while they do stuff to her. She doesn't really shake or anything but looks at me with worried eyes. Poor girl last time they took like 3 minutes to get her temperture. And sinc our babies are so small it has to be more unpleasent to be probed with a thermometor!

Keera was totally fine with the vets untill I had a bad vet who went against what I told him and took a skin sample anyway. He took one much larger than he would need by cutting it off with a scalple(sp?) and caused her to bleed quite a bit. Now she shakes a bit at the vets. But most she tries to cling to me. She is not a happy girl.

My parents dog Cody basically screams the entire time at the vets and tries to bite him. He was badly abused and basically think they are trying to hurt him like people did before. Poor guy..it is always so traumatic for him when he goes..Now he has to take these pills that make him all woozy. He can't seem to fight as well but I don't think they make him feel at all calmer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts