Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much sums up my every morning since Finny came to live. Of course he's worth it but..I am sick of it!
I usually will come out there and tell him "Shh!!" really loud and give him a squirt of water. :rolleyes: So far he's still doing it everyday. He does settle temporarily but i have to get up several times. I usually will move him into leila's pen so he has company. But he will still do it even then.
I know he wants his mommy but mommy is Grumpy when she doesn't get enough sleep :foxes15:
Suggestions welcome.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Maybe try a remote controlled citronella or vibration collar? Neither cause any pain and you can press the remote from the comfort of your bed lol. Best to nip it in the bud while he is still young IMO.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Amazon has them for small dogs, they are still huge tho, we have one for Ivy and had to attach it to a way smaller collar, we have the vibrate one for her, literally all it does is buzz/vibrate like a cell phone on vibrate but it gets her attention.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
....I usually will move him into leila's pen so he has company. But he will still do it even then.
I know he wants his mommy but mommy is Grumpy when she doesn't get enough sleep :foxes15:
Suggestions welcome.
lonely? yes, this will make a puppy bark. especially if he can see the other
dogs but cannot get to them. Can he sleep in another room?

Evie barks when she wants to go #2. She doesn't want to do that on a peepad.
Her lonely call is a bit softer and more forlorn. I don't hear it as much; she seems fairly independent :female:

Usually, when one of my pups is barking and it's annoying to me, I calmly and
gently pick them up, look them in the face and firmly whisper "quiet". I start
teaching that command when they first come home. The more agitated you get,
the more ramped up they get in their barking! Of course, if they are barking at
someone at the door or in the yard--I totally allow it!

Good luck finding out what Finn is trying to tell you ;)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Amberleah every morning hears my husband get up for work (6am) and wants to get up. Cry/scream till i get her. also she has to #2 so I let her out. she plays just few mins and and goes back to sleep in her blanket in my arms.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Piper has been really good so far but on the odd occasion that something wakes her up at 5am or so, I'll take her to potty on her pad and then back into her kennel she goes. If she keeps whining she gets a light knock/bang on the top of her kennel, nothing else. I don't talk, I don't look at her, I don't pet her. I found that she's better if the kennel is beside my bed rather than in another room. My dobes were the same way... I "graduated" them from bedroom, to living room, to breezeway in the garage. Haari is actually still in the living room but she'll be breezeway very soon.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You could try Bark Off. It's a thing you can put in a room and when they bark it lets off a noise and distracts them. It's an "as seen on TV" device. They sell them at Petsmart. Cheaper than the collars. Hopefully though, you won't need anything :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't yell, whatever you do. To a dog, you are basically "barking" at whatever THEY are barking at, so they think "Oh, if Mom/Dad are barking too, then there really MUST be something to bark at".. Choose a command, be consistent, and reward for the cessation of the barking. I use "no bark",, then when they shut up, they get a tiny treat, untill they learn the command.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Don't get too comfy with him being quiet, Godric still cries at the crack of dawn - we call him the rooster.

Some days he'll settle back down to sleep if I fuss at him, other days the crying just continues.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't get too comfy with him being quiet, Godric still cries at the crack of dawn - we call him the rooster.

Some days he'll settle back down to sleep if I fuss at him, other days the crying just continues.
eep!! Well I think the "shhushing" is working. just not as fast as i like ;) lol
He def. don't like the water bottle haha. When he sees it he hops in his bed Real Fast.!! :laughing8: it's funny. I pretty much just have to show it! lol

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
eep!! Well I think the "shhushing" is working. just not as fast as i like ;) lol
He def. don't like the water bottle haha. When he sees it he hops in his bed Real Fast.!! :laughing8: it's funny. I pretty much just have to show it! lol
Yeah, as bad as this sounds we're thinking that Godric may have some sort of a "learning disability?" for lack of other term. He really is just very, special. We love him to death, wouldn't trade him for the world - but things like this just emphasize to me how truly *special* he is. We've had him almost a year and he STILL wakes us up the same way, and never gets discouraged when I close the bedroom door and ignore him, just keeps carrying on.

That among other things exemplify Godric in his, blissfully unaware state of mind.

·
Registered
370 Posts
litterbox

:hello1::hello1:my babies r litterbox trained.thats great in the winter when no one wants 2 go out-not even the pups.it works out great 4 me n them.:D:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts