Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Lola was due in Jan and Penny is due now so i just rang the vets to book them in!
Good job i asked how much it is because she said oh that will £32 EACH!.. i was like oh ok!!.. put the phone down and thought what the hell! thats so expensive!!
So just been googling to see if they REALLY need doing every year and it appears not...
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I've always had them done tbh. I just had Tillie done and it was £38!!!! Prices have gone way up. I remember when it was about that for two of my dogs.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi I've just ad my charlies done and I'd also read on net that they didn't need them every year, so I asked my vet and she said they did need them yearly but certain parts of the vaccine they only need every 3 yrs. If that makes sense! I'd ring round a few vets and ask their opinion :) x

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldnt normally miss it but some ppl say u dont need to have it every year.. of course when i asked the vet they said they do reccommend it every year!!
So i decided that since Lola was due in January and she has a low immune that id get her done tomoz and then Penny in the next few months.. breaks the price of it all up i spose!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I think the first yearly booster is important. I usually have the initial puppy vaccines and the 1st yearly booster and then only titer every 3 yrs after that. Also have to have rabies in the US but after the 1st rabies we can get it every 3 yrs. I also opt for the 5 way over the 7 way as Lepto, etc.. can cause issues and is not needed.

If this is the first booster after the initial puppy shots, I would have them done, but that is just my opinion ;-)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi I've just ad my charlies done and I'd also read on net that they didn't need them every year, so I asked my vet and she said they did need them yearly but certain parts of the vaccine they only need every 3 yrs. If that makes sense! I'd ring round a few vets and ask their opinion :) x
Most all vets will tell you this as this is how they make money.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
They DO NOT need them every year! Every 3 years is the minimum spacing recommended here in the states, and studies show immunity lasts AT LEAST 5-7 years from these "boosters". Keep in mind they are not "boosting" anything...if your dog has immunity, it has immunity, and probably for life. After the puppy series I do 1 set 1 year after, and that's it for life as far as I'm concerned :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Most all vets will tell you this as this is how they make money.
Yes thats very true! Also my dog insurance states all vaccines must be up to date and must have certificate to prove it. Also grooming parlours etc want to see up to date certificates (not that Charlie goes, but Jake our rotti does cos he's too big to fit in the bath!) Some times I feel like theres too much conflicting advise and it's hard to decide what to do for the best :confused: x

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I am not familiar with the UK and not familiar with Pet insurance so I am not sure what to tell you? Maybe some other UK members will chime in ;-)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See this will be Lola`s 3rd year boosters so shes had the 1st puppy ones, then shes had the year after so this next one is what i could miss out on...
Just b4 xmas Lola had a lump come up under her armpit which was quite big, she had a biospy and after a horrible few days worrying myself stupid the results came back that she could have been bitten by something and had a reaction which caused the gland to swell, and it showed her white blood cells to be low (i think) just trying to remember! so they suggested she was always up to date with flea treatment/ jabs/ worming etc as her immune system isnt as strong... im thinking i should get her done to be on the safe side..
Also yes when u insure ur dog over here they ask if u have all your jabs up to date but i havent had to prove anything with who im with :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have all my dogs done yearly, but my vet mentioned to me that they don't give a certain jab every year as they don't need that. I know that most vets usually give the time allowance for 6 months when the booster jab is due, otherwise they might need to start the whole lot of jab again. Talk to your vet and ask if the yearly booster is necessarily. There are a lot of kennels or even vet hospitals require the up to date vaccination.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
If youre unsure you can ask them to do a titer test (no idea whether that might be more costly than doing the vaccines) which will tell you whether she still has immunity. As Kristi mentioned they are usually covered for significantly longer than you think, and here theyre only done every 3 years now. I think if Lolas immune system is compromised that might be more of an argument to NOT vaccinate her again if she doesnt need it.
Many people will tell you they do not need routine boosters and that giving them annually or even every 3 yrs is overvaccinating. Of course any vet will tell you they need them done regularly to "boost" immunity. Its hard to know what advice to follow, but if you do a titer test you will know for certain whether she needs them done or not, and it takes all the anxiety out of deciding whats best for your girls.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Yes, if you have gotten the initial puppy vaccines and then the first yearly booster then you should be able to do a titer to make sure she is still covered. My last titer on Yoshi costed $80.00. But with doing this I know that he is still immune and I am not pumping more chemicals into his body. For us it is worth the extra :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, if you have gotten the initial puppy vaccines and then the first yearly booster then you should be able to do a titer to make sure she is still covered. My last titer on Yoshi costed $80.00. But with doing this I know that he is still immune and I am not pumping more chemicals into his body. For us it is worth the extra :)
I will talk to my vet this morning about this titer test and see what they say... sounds a better option as u say save pumping more chemicals into their bodies :) will let u all know how i get on

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*****UPDATE*****

So just come back from the vets, i ended up taking Penny as it would be her 1st booster after her puppy jabs so i thought that was quite important.
I asked about do they really need a booster every year and she said that basically they dont give a full vaccination its just the things they need which is against Parvo virus and something else (cant remember what she said, was a long word!) and thats all they need.. She also said other vets will give the full vaccination but they believe that the dog doesnt need all of it so that why they only give like half the jab if this makes sence?
I was happy with this, i like my vets and they know my girls well..
I asked about the titer test and she said yes it is a good idea and in a ideal world every dog should have one but it is very expensive....

·
Registered
689 Posts
My vets basically said the same thing as yours, she also said every 3yrs they would have the full booster jab. All booster jabs are same price at my vets no matter what's in them! But at least it's better than having something they don't need. I'd never heard of a titer jab before, I learn somethin new from here every day lol! :) x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts