• Im not sure

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 4 months supply of kibble left but want to start feeding raw. would it be a good idea to mix kibble with ready made raw food?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Did you just post this thread like a week ago haha.

I wrote out a better answer before I think. - but no. They digest at different rates. Do one or the other. If you insist, like some do, of doing both you CAN (although I advise against it) but feed them at very separate spaced out meals.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you just post this thread like a week ago haha.

I wrote out a better answer before I think. - but no. They digest at different rates. Do one or the other. If you insist, like some do, of doing both you CAN (although I advise against it) but feed them at very separate spaced out meals.
oh sorry - i never got a email that anyone replied to that and never knew anyone did so i thought i would put up a poll sorry - i will go look now

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
to adjust them when I started the premade raw, I fed raw in the morning and kibble in the evening. that may be the route to go if you really want to use the rest of the kibble.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
You CAN feed both if you want, but not mixed together. If you want to feed both kibble and raw then feed them at separate times.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how far apart - like 8 in the morning then 6 at night?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
That is fine, no need to be scientific about it. I generally just recommend one in the morning and the other in the evening. ;)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
What about donating kibble to a shelter or rescue or something?

Also is your kibble grain in or grain free. Even more so if its grain in I would not want to feed them both.
If it were me I really wouldn't mix the two. Its honestly easier on the system to do this change cold turkey.

EDIT: Also didn't want to come off rude! I don't mind if you make the post again! I just wasn't sure if you remembered. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We switched my pups "cold turkey" last Wed. I never knew about digesting at different rates (though it makes sense)...so that makes me even more happy I did it the way I did. I think donating the food to a shelter is a fantastic idea. We have a bit of our EVO left (a couple weeks worth) but I figured I'd save it for training purposes since they love it.

Good luck with the raw!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Its really not ok to mix raw and kibble with any breed regardless of size. People do it with success, but people also feed Ol'Roy with success and I wouldn't recommend that either...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how would be feeding raw one day then kibble the next? would it upset their tummies too much?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
how would be feeding raw one day then kibble the next? would it upset their tummies too much?
I personally wouldn't want to do that either. Too much flip flopping in the diet IMO. It might upset their stomachs, or they may start refusing one, etc etc.
I feel it would be simpler to either hold off on the raw till you finish the kibble, or go donate the left over bag(s) and start raw right away.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay - thanks everyone for your help - i think im going to use up what kibble i can and maybe donate around half to a rescue. then start in around 2/3 months - also it gives me time to do some more research on feeding raw :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts