Chihuahua People Forum banner

Yet another food question

616 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TuckersMom 
#1 ·
When I got Cora she was being fed Pedigree puppy, so as soon as she was confortable with us I switched over to Science Diet (because I've always gotten that for my cats). I could tell the difference even when I was still mixing the two, her poos were much more solid and less stinky. However looking over the last couple strings of dog food related posts, I am considering switching her again to Royal Canin, because I have seen the Chihuahua kind at my local Petco. Is there enough of a difference to warrant the extra cost? I always considered Science Diet to be a premium brand, but now I'm wondering..just want the best for my girl.

PS- I also mix in Lipoderm (sp?) to help with her coat etc

#2 ·
Whatever food works best for your pup is the one you should stick with. Sometimes pups have allergies and such, and owners have to go on a food roller coaster trying to find something that agrees with their pup's system. Everyone has their favorite food---and granted some foods have higher quality ingredients than others. But I also know that some breeders feed Purina Puppy Chow and Purina Dog Chow (which a lot of people consider to be low-end quality foods) and those breeders' pups and dogs live long and healthy lives. So in some ways, it's a personal choice. Do what you think is best, but try to find the food that you and your pup can be happy with, because some pups get to be picky eaters when given too many food changes. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.