Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trigger has kinda "gone" at his eyes for awhile now. They aren't runny, and I never really thought much of it. He doesn't do it a LOT. I thought maybe it was ingrown eyelashes or something along those lines, but not a big deal, would get it checked out at his annual exam.

Well he's lately started to scratch off some of the fur...which kind of has let me see what I think is the real problem.

On either side there is a swollen little round bit....kinda near the corner of his eyes but definitely not touching his eyes. There are 2 on the left side and only 1 on the right. The one is about the size of a mosquito bite, the other two are about 1/2 the size, maybe the size of an "O" on a standard keyboard. They are not symmetrical...

I tried to get a picture, but really it didn't come out.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what could be up? It's probably been geez, 3-4 months he's been going at his eyes, maybe longer.

They are not pimple like or wart like. If I didn't know how long he's been going at them, I'd just think they are bug bites. They are not red, though, and he doesn't seem bothered when I touch them.

I'll get him to the vet to get it checked out, but sometimes people here have better ideas than the vet! LOL.

I'm going to start him on benadryl for a week or 2, just to rule out an allergy, which he has no other symptoms of.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Could it be his tear ducts? It's hard to imagine where you are describing. :(

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Def. sounds like some kind of allergy to me. I'd see if you can get him in for a steroid shot. It will nip it much faster than Benadryl. Poor dude!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its just really odd. I wish I could snap it in a picture but it just doesn't capture.

It really would seem EXACTLY like bug bites except for the fact that I know they aren't.

I looked up pictures of styes, it doesn't look anything like that. They are OUTSIDE his eyes, just near them, the space between. You can't really see them unless you're looking. I'm definitely going to take him in to have them see what they think and see if they can do anything. I had been meaning to since about a month ago I started to notice he was thinning the fur out a bit, just seems I am ALWAYS at the vet between 4 dogs lol.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aww poor Trigger. It sounds like allergies to me too.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thing is I really think its something local, like an issue with maybe as someone mentioned, tear ducts, or eyelashes, or gosh knows what. But it seems local. Otherwise he is just healthy as a horse and NO other chewing/biting/itching whatsoever.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay...scratch that, I CAN'T take a picture. Because they're...not THERE right now.

So could it be hives? Now I am really baffled. I was wondering how it was possible I hadn't seen them before, but what if they are just flaring up really bad when he scratches at them?

Now I feel like a loon but I swear there is something off...and how will I show a vet if he hasn't had a good scratch?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I would just give him benedryl or wait until it comes back then give benedryl and see if it works then you can see if it'd an allergy?

Crappy pic of maxs eye he kept shutting them from the flash lol he has like clogged eyelash ducts the vet said they can burn it off but once they get it it will just keep happening like if u burn 1 off the eyelash beside it will happen to and so on bc my max is 9 we didn't bother he could eventually go blind

If it's eyelashes then it would be where the eyelashes are but it grows big enough to touch the eyeball don't think it is what u have described

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah...its definitely not that. It's like, between his eyes, not on them in any way, basically on his forehead where it meets the muzzle (at the stop).

I mean maybe its just ingrown hairs, like we can get? I know they are a PITA for people can't imagine a dog would like them much better.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Oh, I thought it said, on his eyes. :/

·
Registered
923 Posts
Maybe he can't clean the area properly and gets doggy zits?

It's so weird! That they go away so easily!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think its the same areas that get irritated tho, b'c that's where the most fur is missing.

It really doesn't seem like a big deal -- If it were ON his eyes, he'd have been to the vet like...yesterday. But b'c our new vet charges up the wazoo just for walking in the door, I've really been...careful about why I go. Not sure they can help on this one, TBH. I am going to watch it for another day or 2 to see if it flares up like that again. He really is just about the healthiest dog imagineable, but I've been noticing this for awhile now (well, minus the bumps I saw tonight).

I also might try putting some vit. E oil there for a few days. maybe the skin is just dry..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts