Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I think I've got a bit of deterrent against large birds, we now have a bobcat! It's been in our yard and left its' skat. I'm so worried, I make the babies sit inside the door while I sweep the yard with a flashlight. We live in a highly populated area only about 5 miles from town!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yikes! Yeah, I live on a water ski lake and we have birds like crazy, cats of all varieties, raccoons, skunks, coyotes, the list goes on. It's beautiful, and I love it, but I could never let Corona alone out back, even if my fence were secure! I use to love walls at dusk, but now I avoid that time of day with Corona! Even on her lead, I am not sure how I would handle an encounter!!! I do carry a stick and am always aware. But yes, this is one situation where a bit of a bigger dog would be nice! Although all these creatures can rough up a big guy pretty badly as well!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Wow! Sometimes when I worry about animals coming into our yard (the woods is right behind my yard), I take Cuddles for a walk instead of letting her out in the yard. We've had bears, deer, and all kinds of animal run around our neighborhood, and I know I've heard raccoons up in that woods.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We've bought some property out in the boonies, and will move out there soon.
Comments here about "varmint" threats caused me to consider, and act on getting better protection for my little ones, besides me with a broom. :rolleyes:

I had an opportunity to rescue a wonderful female Labrador puppy a few months ago, which we've named Kira, who has fitted into our Pack wonderfully. Right now, she's about 11mo old, and weighs just under 60#. We've encouraged/training her to go outside with each of our little guys (have a doggy door) when one of them needs to potty. I've herd thunder that was not as threatening as her bark :D

I can see her integration progressing with evidence of a very protective nature. That gives me a great deal of satisfaction that with her support, most threats will be averted satisfactorily. Though smaller dogs are my preference, this level of insurance, is a policy I don't mind paying the premium for. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
We've bought some property out in the boonies, and will move out there soon.
Comments here about "varmint" threats caused me to consider, and act on getting better protection for my little ones, besides me with a broom. :rolleyes:

I had an opportunity to rescue a wonderful female Labrador puppy a few months ago, which we've named Kira, who has fitted into our Pack wonderfully. Right now, she's about 11mo old, and weighs just under 60#. We've encouraged/training her to go outside with each of our little guys (have a doggy door) when one of them needs to potty. I've herd thunder that was not as threatening as her bark :D

I can see her integration progressing with evidence of a very protective nature. That gives me a great deal of satisfaction that with her support, most threats will be averted satisfactorily. Though smaller dogs are my preference, this level of insurance, is a policy I don't mind paying the premium for. ;)
My son has 2 St. Bernards and 1 lab and 6 cats. He'll let the cats out back (privacy fence and the cats are declawed) and when it's time to bring them back in the lab will round them up and herd them into the house. :) Awesome and fun to watch. Labs are very smart and very protective!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're moving in a couple years to a rural area. We'll be building an enclosed dog run for potty time since there are LOTS of coyotes and big birds. Seriously thinking that SWHouston has the right idea, may have to add a big dog to the pack.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've had/raised big dogs before. Pits, Bobbies and a few Hines57's. But what I've seen/read about the Labs convinced me that, that breed was the best in temperament. And, big enough to get serious if some unwanted/threatening encounter arose.

If someone is seriously considering this type addition, I would highly recommend that they select a Puppy, then allow it to grow "into" your Pack environment, just like it was an extension of it's bloodline Pack. I'm convinced that this method of exposure, makes for some very solid Pack connections, and increases the protective nature of the Lab. Though She's only been here a few months, I've already seen a very impressive territorial/pack protection display from her, when another (loose/stray) dog seemed too interested in us. I know if I had been on the other side of that fence when she displayed her defensive posture, I would have left the area immediately. So did that dog by the way ;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm all the way up in Scotland, thankfully the only predator here is the cold lol. We do though have birds of prey but they will usually only hunt in rural landscapes. Anywhere we take Pablo is usually wooded with cover and be is always on the lead. The only major concern I have is other large dogs with him he gets on fantastic with other dogs, but of course all dogs can be unpredictable so there's the worry if a bigger dog annoys him he will growl and of course the big dog snaps and one bite and he's a goner. But we haven't had a bad encounter yet! On the rare sunny days we get I will take him to the nature walks usually all the dogs are super friendly so he can run about daft. But still a worry :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
even if my fence were secure!
Understood, plus one (around here) need to worry about what's flying around. We do have birds of prey, but, the canopy over my back yard is very thick fortunately. Having that "box" to let them potty in, is really handy, not having to be with them every minute.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts