Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately (last couple weeks I guess), Yoshi has been acting very strange, not her usual sweet, loving self ... but only with me. I don't know why, but when I pick her up, or take her from my mom or something to go out, she snarls at me, and shows her teeth and growls. And earlier tonight, I tried to kiss her and she bit me on my face :'( She's never done that, and I don't know what's wrong with her but it's really starting to upset me because I'm thinking she hates me. Yoshi can't hate me, I'm her mommy *sniff*. It's making me really sad and I don't know what's the matter. She still cries when I leave her, and she is so happy when I come back so why is she doing this? I don't get it, and it's so upsetting :(

Any thoughts ... does anyone know what I can do about this? Sometimes she shakes and looks upset like she is afraid of me but I don't know why o_O It's so sad and Yoshi is making me feel bad. I know that sounds wierd, but she is.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm sure this isn't the case, but have you been giving her less attention? I think I recall you saying that you were thinking about getting another puppy chi...maybe she senses this and is getting jealous? Chis can be very quick in terms of catching onto things, so I wouldn't be surprised if Yoshi knew that she was getting a younger bro or sis. Maybe I'm way off, but this is all I can think of. I hope Yoshi's back to herself soon. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well ... I'm sure I'm not giving her less attention. If anything I've been giving her loads more as I've been on vacation and spending a lot of time with her. Maybe she senses something but I don't know what because Yoshi is most important to me. She isn't this way with her daddy and he wants another chi more than I do. It's so upsetting :(

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
a few weeks ago teddy injured his leg it wasn't major but he was limping a little. i thought it would heal on it's own so i didn't take him to the vet right away. during this time he growled at me a lot and tried to bite me a few times whenever i was near his food or treats, something he never did in the past. after a couple of days when the limping didn't seem any better i took him to the vet and she gave him an anti-inflammatory medicine. after a day he was back to his sweet self.

maybe she doesn't feel well and it's making her act that way :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking too ... but it's only with me. I'd think it would be with everyone if that were the case, but I dunno :( I think I'm gonna take her to the vet anyway, but I don't know what I'd say. She's not acting herself ... she just had a checkup less than a month ago so yeah, I really don't know.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hmmm...maybe give it some time then. Maybe she's just going through one of those stages. I mean people feel off sometimes too ya know? Like sometimes I just feel really grumpy and want to snap at everyone for no particular reason.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
about her only acting that way with you, my first chihuahua oreo would definitely do certain things with me and not with other people. just a silly example when i would take him outside he would wait for me to carry him inside but if anyone else took him out he would walk right in. this is something he started not me. i just think that maybe dogs act a certain way with certain people because they know they'll get a certain reaction. and i'm not saying she is doing this to get a reaction it's just something that popped into my head when you mentioned how she only acts this way with you.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's true. I guess I will have to take her to the vet :( I hope nothing is wrong with her. She's acting totally normal other than this wierd behaviour towards me.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I've never :( My dad almost stepped on her foot once though :p If something is upsetting her though I wonder how long until she gets over it =/ Like if she's thinking something bad about me for whatever reason, although I don't know why that'd be :(

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hmmm, this is a hard one! i dnt really see any reason for her to be snarling, and bitey towards you if everything is as normal as it always has been!! its really odd, that she only does it with you! does she do it wen u are alone with her or only wen you are around other people?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Maybe she has been hurts from something you did ( for example, you have petted another dog and she saw it, or you stepped on her while you haven’t saw it, and so on).
My yorkie started to pee in my bed and on my shoos, after I got my chi home, and stopped come to me.
Dogs can be very jealous and angry on us…

How does she react with you boyfriend?
My friend dog also started to act exactly as Yoshi, when she was around year old, suddenly she started to prefer her husband, and snap at her. (she still loves her, but when she gets close to him, the dog get jealous, and snap and glow at her).

You need to do all the necessary things, to get Yoshi think that you are the Alfa.
(eat before her, walk before and so on ).

·
Registered
680 Posts
Im thinking maybe she doesnt feel good and is only letting you know. They have their ways, ya know? I would def. take her to the vet & let him/her know whats going on!! Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She does it when we are alone too. Tonight no one is home and I just wanted to snuggle her and she bites me o_O I pet another dog over the holidays but she's seen me do that before, and she is friends with the other dog. It is wierd ... she acts so loving to everyone else, and never growls or snarls at any of them, she loves my bf, parents, brother, etc.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
momto3chihuahuas said:
Im thinking maybe she doesnt feel good and is only letting you know. They have their ways, ya know? I would def. take her to the vet & let him/her know whats going on!! Good luck :)
Yeah, thanks ... I'm going to call the vet tomorrow. Hopefully I can get her in maybe on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Has anything happened to make her think that she's dominant over you? Gracie was like that right after we got her. I just had a chat with her & told her that she needed to be a good doggie! Or maybe she's just in a bad mood & feels most comfortable around you, so you're the only one she wants to let know??? I don't know! That does seem really weird! Seems like it must something easier...I always feel like I over-analyze things, esp. with my dogs. Let us know what the vet says.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts