Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot to mention earlier that we got Yoshi's titer back today. His immunity was still high on everything but distemper and it was super low. My vet is going to shave back the vaccine Monday so he should get just distemper and something else that also affected the nervous system, cant think of the name? So I guess it is still good to have the titer done as you never know ;-)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Very interesting!

What did a titer run you at your vets? My plan is to follow Jean Dodd's vaccination schedule, and titer adult dogs every 3 years after that. So...Oakley is having her 1 year vaccinations, but the plan is...no more after that.

I'm pissed because I checked and double checked that the vaccine she was given for distemper/parvo did NOT have parainfluenza in with it...well when I looked it up online, guess what it has in it?? URGH.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I do. They get their initial puppy vaccinations and then the 1 yr booster. It has been 3 yrs since Yoshi's booster and we did the titer. The titer was $85.00 at my vets but I live in a very small town and he is very reasonable in his pricing.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to ask why you didnt want the parainfluenza? I cant remember anything about it right off the top of my head?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I forgot to ask why you didnt want the parainfluenza? I cant remember anything about it right off the top of my head?
B'c parainfluenza isn't seen around here often, and having it added to the shot is unnecessary. Its essentially the doggy flu, and only 1 strain of it...just in my opinion it doesn't do much good to vaccinate it for. They are so small it makes me nervous to give any vaccines, let alone a 3 banger. Oh well.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
(I don't board her, either, which is the primary way they'd be exposed to it)...so...I just didn't want it. And they said it wasn't in the shot, but it was. They don't even know what shot they are giving the dog...sigh.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
That's about what I was quoted for a titer, too, btw. Then I got this whole "but why would you want to do that" bit.

How did they do the blood draw from Yoshi for the Titer? Neck/leg/??

Did you walk Yoshi thru a petstore a few times before the test?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, Yoshi isnt usually around any other dogs than mine. We do not take him out much. I wish they would have gotten the results back sooner as it took almost 2 weeks. I took him and Chibi with me to Raleigh to Shawns family for early Christmas so that meant pottying in strange places (always worries me). I like to give them as little as vaccines as possible to. It is sad that the vets do not know what is in them. My vet is pretty good about though.

I know that distemper is rare where we live but I know you can have an outbreak anywhere. It worried me a bit after the big outbreak in Kansas this week.

I meant to add that they do the blood draw from the neck (also worries me) but they have always drawn the blood from their with both Yoshi and Chibi.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The reason I asked about taking him through a pet store before is it exposes them to stuff again and flares the memory cells so that the immunity shows up better...if that makes sense? That way it shows up better on the titer.

I hate that they draw blood from the neck and then they have the big bald patch but I guess that's better than vaccinosis or tumors later on.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Michelle this is brilliant not that he needs the distemper but shows they are still immune day is going to have her annual booster in February and I'm going to take the protocol with me and chat to my vet see what he thinks/costs etc - don't like bald necks on a lc tho especially when it takes forever to grow in ahaha

Vaccinating scares me too

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The reason I asked about taking him through a pet store before is it exposes them to stuff again and flares the memory cells so that the immunity shows up better...if that makes sense? That way it shows up better on the titer.
This is 100% correct. It's good to expose them to different dogs (such as in a petsmart) or a walk through a dog park before drawing titers as it activates the memory cells and will show true immunity.

I bet if you walked through Yoshi through a dog infested area and then had the titers re-drawn - his distemper titer would be HIGH.

An interesting article on titers and immunity ....

Titers and Canine Vaccination Decisions

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey's titer levels last year were low normal, this year they were high, we test her annually because of her immune system, we did NOT vaccinate her last year, she just built up as well as she was sick a few weeks before we did the test. I know I read somewhere if they've had any insults (sickness etc) to their system it can affect their titer levels for like 4 months or something.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Zoey's titer levels last year were low normal, this year they were high, we test her annually because of her immune system, we did NOT vaccinate her last year, she just built up as well as she was sick a few weeks before we did the test. I know I read somewhere if they've had any insults (sickness etc) to their system it can affect their titer levels for like 4 months or something.
Huh...how interesting!

I decided to do the 1 year boosters because I did a lot of research and I also feel Dr Dodds has done her research too...but let me tell ya haha...that's it after that if there's anything I can do to help it.

I'm also researching and learning about the best way to vaccinate young puppies. It kind of seems like when I breed I will be keeping the dogs slightly longer so I can vaccinate them later and be sure they're covered. That might cause me to lose a few sales...but...somehow I don't think so, because people are becoming more aware every day.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He was exposed to his brothers and any dogs at the vets on the day of the titer test. I dont let him down on the floor or outside of the vets or Pet stores anyways though. I would almost be worried to walk him through a pet store, etc...especially if his distemper is really low?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts