Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This little girl has taught me the right way to feed her to give her what she needs. I would have never thought I would be doing this. It's really not bad and I do it because I love her sooooo much. It's cheaper doing it this way; I know exactly what she's getting. So here are some pics which I have wanted to show for a long time. Hope you enjoy!!

THis is a bottom but roast with some pork. I search my local grocery store for discounted meat. There's nothing wrong with it, but the sale date has expired. We also eat the discounted meat sometimes, just not raw!! Lol

Can't get the cutting board out without her knowing. She thinks I'm always cutting meat for her when the cutting board comes out.

She always has to have a test-taste to make sure it meets her standards...

Always room for more and she already had her breakfast of wabbit!!

These little containers can be found at any grocery store or big box store really cheap. You get 4 for $1.00 and they measure out perfectly without having to weigh the food. I don't pack the meat in the containers. I loosely drop the food in and fill 3/4 of the way and she's getting about 1.4 oz. 15-20 minutes of work gives her about 2 weeks (2 meals/day) of food. What I really like about the raw is that I can thaw out my chunk of meat, chop it up, put it in these containers and thaw it again, unthaw it again when I'm ready to feed. This rethawing process doesn't hurt the meat. No nutrients are lost and the dogs don't know the difference. Humans do know the difference and that's why we don't do it this way, but you can for your animals. I usually have 2 containers in the refrigerator thawing out for the next feeding. They thaw out pretty quick, so it's not like she's eating a chunk of ice.

A big thank you to TRACY for all your help! I can never thank you enough for the confidence and reassurance you gave me at the beginning.

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
That is awesome! My two midgets had turkey, sardines, and yogurt last night. The night before they had beef and my OH said they eat better than he does lol as it was fresh from a butcher.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Thanks, Lisa, for the great post!! It's people like you and Tracy and others that show pics and give very specific examples that are building my confidence in homemade raw.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I love the blurry tail pic :)
It is amazing what we do out of love for our dogs. I used to be vegan, I would struggle even walking past a butchers shop! Now I regularly hack up lumps of animal for the dogs, I chopped up venison heart and liver this morning.
The dogs have to be banished from the kitchen during the process, it gets too exciting for them. So they sit outside the door and whine instead lol.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice!! I really like your pictures! Can you tell me what you have in those containers?? It looks like a nice assortment!
It's always what I find on sale. We had center cut pork chops one night (the family pack) and I pulled one chop and lightly cooked it in a cast iron skillet. I'm a little nervous about pork, so I don't feed it much. I broke it into small chunks and froze it. While I was cutting up the butt roast, I add the pork. Sometimes I add chicken, cod, just whatever I have that I know she's not allergic to. I really love the raw cause I can add the ester c to it, ACV, Cranberry powder, whatever, and it absorbs so easily into the meat. I have been adding a little yogurt to her meat too. I don't add these extras to the whole mixture. I just add it to the specific container that I'm feeding that day. I feed her in little glass desert bowls.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is awesome! My two midgets had turkey, sardines, and yogurt last night. The night before they had beef and my OH said they eat better than he does lol as it was fresh from a butcher.
Aint that the truth!! Your OH has a point!! We should learn from our babies and eat right too. Everyone knows that in order to live/eat right you have to pay, but if we choose to feed/eat badly, we'll pay twice as much!! Lol

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the blurry tail pic :)
It is amazing what we do out of love for our dogs. I used to be vegan, I would struggle even walking past a butchers shop! Now I regularly hack up lumps of animal for the dogs, I chopped up venison heart and liver this morning.
The dogs have to be banished from the kitchen during the process, it gets too exciting for them. So they sit outside the door and whine instead lol.
Haha!! They just know it's for them!! You need to post pics of their reactions and your process!! I think we should turn this thread into pics of the raw process and what we do for the love of our babies! I believe it will help those who are considering it, but really afraid of handling raw and knowing what to do.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also want to add that I don't feed bones at all and I'm not sure if she's getting the right mixture of organs as I don't always feed organs. With that being said, I don't feed strictly raw meat. I rely on S&C and ZP to make up for the bone, organ, cartilage content that she's not getting from just raw meat alone. I do one meal of the raw meat a day and one meal of S&C/ZP. Just wanted to clarify my methods.

·
Registered
945 Posts
That sounds similar to what I do. My base raw food is bags of minced chicken and minced tripe I get from [email protected] I supplement that with meat from the supermarket - whatever's close to its sell-by date. I also rotate additions of chicken bones, or chopped liver/heart/kidney. I normally sprinkle a little Eden or Acana on the top for crunch, and occasionally some scrambled egg (the chis' absolute favourite). I love knowing that I control exactly what's going into their stomachs, and their diet seems to be working well - both are the perfect weight for their size/age, and people comment on the softness and glossiness of their coats. I was very nervous about raw at the beginning, but I've got so much more confidence now!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds similar to what I do. My base raw food is bags of minced chicken and minced tripe I get from [email protected] I supplement that with meat from the supermarket - whatever's close to its sell-by date. I also rotate additions of chicken bones, or chopped liver/heart/kidney. I normally sprinkle a little Eden or Acana on the top for crunch, and occasionally some scrambled egg (the chis' absolute favourite). I love knowing that I control exactly what's going into their stomachs, and their diet seems to be working well - both are the perfect weight for their size/age, and people comment on the softness and glossiness of their coats. I was very nervous about raw at the beginning, but I've got so much more confidence now!
Yep, you go with what works!! When I tell people Midgie has severe allergies, they just look at me silly cause she looks so healthy, but it takes a lot of work. Haha It's worth it, isn't it!!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Odie wants to come and eat at your house! I'm having trouble getting her to eat anything other than raw chicken though. I may need to slightly cook something else to get her interested.

Odie gets excited when she sees me touch a towel! I always put one down for her when she eats her raw chicken so if she sees me putting out a new towel in the kitchen, she'll run into the dining room where she usually eats. So cute, but I always feel bad when I'm not actually giving her something.

I eat a plant based diet, but I got over my aversion to raw meat really quickly when I worked at a wildlife park. Cutting up butchered meat is nothing compared to cutting up whole day old chicks with scissors! Yuck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Aint that the truth!! Your OH has a point!! We should learn from our babies and eat right too. Everyone knows that in order to live/eat right you have to pay, but if we choose to feed/eat badly, we'll pay twice as much!! Lol
Yeah he got take out that night LOL LOL LOL

I also want to add that I don't feed bones at all and I'm not sure if she's getting the right mixture of organs as I don't always feed organs. With that being said, I don't feed strictly raw meat. I rely on S&C and ZP to make up for the bone, organ, cartilage content that she's not getting from just raw meat alone. I do one meal of the raw meat a day and one meal of S&C/ZP. Just wanted to clarify my methods.
I do the same :)

AM- They get Primal
PM- RAW

This post/thread just made my day. :) LOVE it. Thanks for sharing. :)
You helped teach us :) How many years did you pester me slightly before I decided to go that way?

Odie wants to come and eat at your house! I'm having trouble getting her to eat anything other than raw chicken though. I may need to slightly cook something else to get her interested.

Odie gets excited when she sees me touch a towel! I always put one down for her when she eats her raw chicken so if she sees me putting out a new towel in the kitchen, she'll run into the dining room where she usually eats. So cute, but I always feel bad when I'm not actually giving her something.

I eat a plant based diet, but I got over my aversion to raw meat really quickly when I worked at a wildlife park. Cutting up butchered meat is nothing compared to cutting up whole day old chicks with scissors! Yuck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I buy the ground Oma's Pride but when I got to the store I get it ground too as that is how they like it. Do you cut up chicken breast or is it ground? Could it be something in the texture? Also try mixing chicken and another protein together

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Dang, I keep saying I'll never do "real" raw but it can't be that hard. I do notice the increase cost of prepared raw now that I have three!!! Perhaps you have inspired me to try it. I give them little pieces of lean raw hamburger when I am cooking something that uses it. They love it.

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Yep, you go with what works!! When I tell people Midgie has severe allergies, they just look at me silly cause she looks so healthy, but it takes a lot of work. Haha It's worth it, isn't it!!
Another thing I am still testing with Huly. According to his allergy report he is allergic to beef and fish. One thing I have noticed is while he is still allergic to raw beef he is not allergic to raw seafood of any kind. I have heard it something with is being raw vs cooked.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Dang, I keep saying I'll never do "real" raw but it can't be that hard. I do notice the increase cost of prepared raw now that I have three!!! Perhaps you have inspired me to try it. I give them little pieces of lean raw hamburger when I am cooking something that uses it. They love it.
Raw feeding doesn't have to be complicated. I have been feeding raw for about 2 and a half years now and it has become second nature to me.
I also find it an economical way to feed, ZiwiPeak is a luxury item here, I certainly couldn't afford to feed it exclusively to 3 dogs. Like Lisa I get the reduced meats from the butchers and supermarkets when possible. It does mean our (tiny) freezer has more dog food than human food in it, but it is a small price to pay :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah he got take out that night LOL LOL LOL

I do the same :)

AM- They get Primal
PM- RAW

You helped teach us :) How many years did you pester me slightly before I decided to go that way?

I buy the ground Oma's Pride but when I got to the store I get it ground too as that is how they like it. Do you cut up chicken breast or is it ground? Could it be something in the texture? Also try mixing chicken and another protein together
Midgie's allergy bloodwork shows she's allergic to turkey and a holistic vet said she's allergic to chicken. I take both those test to heart, but I question is it really the chicken/turkey she's allergic to or the hormones and antibiotics? I've fed her organic chicken in which she's done well on so it seemed. Since she has so many environmental allergies, she still always itches so it's hard to tell with the food, but I do know she didn't break out with hives or have any drastic change when she ate it.

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Midgie's allergy bloodwork shows she's allergic to turkey and a holistic vet said she's allergic to chicken. I take both those test to heart, but I question is it really the chicken/turkey she's allergic to or the hormones and antibiotics? I've fed her organic chicken in which she's done well on so it seemed. Since she has so many environmental allergies, she still always itches so it's hard to tell with the food, but I do know she didn't break out with hives or have any drastic change when she ate it.
Huly just pukes LOL or gets a snotty nose. Yeah but I think the blood allergy tests are based off cooked meats.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts