Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, gave Hope the slippery elm last night and it is too soon, of course, to have made a difference.

This morning, the mucous, again. Out of her bottom and she spit up some once.

Called the vet. Mine is out today and the other is a fabulous, probably close to 70 year old gentleman who has very different ideas than my regular vet. This could be good to get his seasoned and perhaps different perspective.

The sweet tech hears my explanation (she was willing to hear the whole saga, bless her) and gets my numbers and talks to the Doc.

He said after reviewing her records and what sweet tech shared, he believes that she has colitis. I knew this and have said it for days. The girl is energetic, gaining weight, healthy as can be on paper with every test known to man or dog.

Okay, now what?

He wants her on WD food for 2 weeks. It is this one:
Dog Food Reviews - Hills Prescription W/D - Powered by ReviewPost

Which of course looks like garbage to me, but honestly, I would feed it if I thought it would help.

We just do sooooo poorly with her when we change foods, so I hate to do it. Her stools (when she does not have the mucous) have been getting better and better.

I'd REALLY rather boil some ground turkey, add plain rice and scoop out a couple of sweet potatoes. I told the vet tech that and she said that should be okay. I just do not know then what to give them during the day when we are gone.

They also said that if I can get liquid Pepcid or something like it (perhaps the anti-diarrhea stuff from Petco) to call back and he would help with dosing.

Your opinion? Suggestion?

I really appreciate it!!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Our cat has IBS -she has been on Hills perscription diet sensitive for 6 years that's the only thing i can give her,chicken is a no no,fish a no no,i know she's not a dog but i would try the food for 2 weeks so her tummy can settle and nothing will aggravate it.I also give her slippery elm .

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I haven't dealt with colitis so I'm not going to be much help. But I just wanted to comment on the ingredients in the Science Diet ....

Ingredients:
Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Peanut Hulls, Chicken by-product Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Meal, Soybean Mill Run, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Corn Gluten Meal, Iron Oxide, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, preserved with BHT, BHA and Ethoxyquin, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, DL-Methionine, L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene.

The first ingredient is CORN. :( The second ingredient is powdered cellulose. What is that? It is SAWDUST. :( Followed by peanut hulls, by-products of chickens (not the meat), and then liver flavoring and two different kinds of soy.

I wouldn't feed this food to a hamster, let alone a dog. I just don't get it.

I really think there HAS to be a better way to treat this baby than this garbage. I will do some reading and see what I can come up with.

Hang in there, I know this is hard. Keep up the slippery elm, it won't hurt and it might help calm things down. Poor baby.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! This morning I gave her some slippery elm water with a bit of organic baby food sweet potatoes and dehydrated chicken. She gobbled it up!

I did some reading and I am going to try the turkey and rice route. I will add sweet potatoes if I cannot get her to eat it. She has been grain free but I am willing to try this! The dry food seems just awful to me.

She does get a lot of chicken. It could be the chicken. Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I had a maltese who had some stomach/intestine issues. I made her ground beef, scrambled eggs, rice etc. and it did wonders for her. Not saying to go against your vet as I don't know if the issues were the same. But I used more of a common sense approach and fed what would be good for a person with this issue.

·
Registered
342 Posts
macy used to have trouble with her tummy (knock on wood). We had been to the vet's multiple times in a year for cholitis. My vet recommended pepcid too, the people tablets are fine, they will recommend the dosage based on weight. I didn't feed her the vet diet, I did plain rice with some pumpkin for a couple of days. When i switched her food to wellness chicken and sweet potato, all the problems seemed to stop.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Bryco was diagnosed with colitis too...

You need to fast her, first. Go as long as you possibly can without feeding her. She is big enough hypoglycemia shouldn't be a worry. Her tummy needs time to calm down.

I understand that you are frantic to find a solution for her and it is so frustrating, but all these changes aren't helping her, they are making it WORSE, because her tummy is already irritated and you keep trying to "fix" it with another food source.

As the vet to please give her a steroid shot. This will calm down her insides as well. If they don't want to, tell them your friend's puppy that had the same problem was helped out a lot by one. It is a slow acting shot that keeps their insides calm for about 2 weeks, usually enough time for the problem to resolve.

After you have fasted her, give her 1 LEVEL tablespoon of shredded, PLAIN, boiled chicken, NOT TURKEY. Add 2 tablespoons of unflavored children's pedialyte to this, and your slippery elm and pumpkin. DO NOT GIVE HER ANYTHING ELSE.

Every 3 hours thereafter, give her 1/2 tablespoon of shredded plain boiled chicken and 1 tablespoon of plain unflavored pedialyte. You will keep this up for 2 days. After that, add 1-2 kibbles in. You will want to feed her 3-4 times a day, VERY small meals.

Please realize...she does not and they DO NOT need access to food during the day. It isn't doing anyone any favors and is probably making her problem worse because her tummy simply never has time to settle.

Most dogs outgrow this issue as their intestines get bigger. But I seriously would not be even the slightest bit shocked if the cause of her problem is that she is free fed. They are not cattle. They do not need to graze. In fact, in the wild, their tummies are designed to go days without food, then gorge. That is why many people do not free feed. It is not how they are made to digest.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. I will have DH take her and entertain her while I feed miss iron tummy. I will offer her nothing tonight. I have to come to work tomorrow so I may start the feeding part tomorrow night through the weekend.

My vet is back in tomorrow. I will ask him about the injection and see if I can take her tomorrow afternoon or first thing Saturday.

I had changed their eating and worried that could be part of her issue. I stopped refilling their bowls as I have always done with my chi's. They have recently been getting a measured amount in the morning, in their dish for day and measured again at night.
I was concerned since I read here that we should feed puppies 4 times a day.

I will leave food out of the pen tomorrow. I will give Ruby extra ZP since she is so tiny (to me) I do not want her to not be gaining since we are working extra hard to beef her up.

Thanks everyone. I am trying my best and appreciate your help and encouragement.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hope will be fine...maybe she just needs to get bigger. I know it's hard and frustrating but I genuinely think you are nearing the end of the tunnel;)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi karen i dont have any answers for you but i do feel your worried words and just wantedyou to know that i read all the forum at night and each night i think maybe little hope will have a better day today with her little belly trouble my thoughts are with you and hope your friends sheila and buster

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey Karen. I just wanted to say hope she's better soon. Pixel has had colitis alot since I got her and been on antibiotics a few times for it. In her case it was rice causing problems and cutting it out totally and substituting for potato has worked.

Hope she's better for you soon.

x

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
No words of advice here but what Kristi said sounds like your best bet. I know she went through an awful time with Bryco so I'm hoping this regimine works for Hope too! I would also be feeding 2 times a day. I fed all my Chi's twice daily (with small treats once a day) & all were fine & never suffered from hypoglycemia. Mari was our smallest when we brought her home (1lbs 14oz). Even her puppies at 7 weeks are on 3 meals a day & they are just barley over 1lb & they too have never had any hypoglycemia issues.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck & hope you find a resolution for her issues asap. Good luck!

·
Banned
420 Posts
He wants her on WD food for 2 weeks. It is this one:
Dog Food Reviews - Hills Prescription W/D - Powered by ReviewPost

Which of course looks like garbage to me
I have to say I find these kind of quotes by lay people on forums worrying! Unless members have a considerable knowledge of science and nutrition - do they really know more than experienced vets and the scientists that a big company like Hills can employ? We currently have one dog whose life has literally been saved by Hills ID. We may have ethical issues about buying pet foots from multi-national companies and the air miles involved in importing said food - we also feed more 'natural' food to our healthy dogs - but in the end it works for the dog in question - and that is the most important thing.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to say I find these kind of quotes by lay people on forums worrying! Unless members have a considerable knowledge of science and nutrition - do they really know more than experienced vets and the scientists that a big company like Hills can employ? We currently have one dog whose life has literally been saved by Hills ID. We may have ethical issues about buying pet foots from multi-national companies and the air miles involved in importing said food - we also feed more 'natural' food to our healthy dogs - but in the end it works for the dog in question - and that is the most important thing.
For us, it has nothing to do with importing food nor ethical issues.

I intended the "to me" addition to imply that I am not making a judgement for all, but for us.
I should have been more clear. I should have said "It looks like garbage to me, FOR HER.

She has a grain issue to begin with so correcting her colitis with a corn based food would be awful, FOR HER. That is all I meant.

I apologize.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I won't get into the prescription food debate, but will say that I agree with you Karen 100%!!!

How is she doing today?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thanks, I take your point - just having a rant about people who seem to know it all - not you obviously!!
Are you talking about me because I criticized the ingredients in the prescription Hills food?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How is she doing today?
Not good. Bloody mucous again. All she has had to eat since Thursday mid-day is pedialyte/slippery elm tea laced with pumpkin and a tad of shredded chicken breast.

She is still super energetic and running around like wild. She acts like nothing is wrong which at least encourages me.

Going to the vet in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi,

Just wanted to say I hope that you find a solution for little Hope soon. I suffer from Colitis myself & it is not a fun thing to deal with as it causes cramps & bloating & generally feeling yucky & lethargic. The sooner you get it under control for her the better.

I also had a cat who suffered from IBS & who was put on Hills - Sensitive Stomach which was great, but he HATED it & learnt to open our pantry & would eat horrid things like dry pasta & biscuits if we forgot to lock it!
What we found best for him was EVO dry food, he loved it, it is the same price as the Hills, helped with his IBS & weight gain & is totally grain free. Don't know what others think of it, but we found it fantastic for our cat & it might be worth a try for your little one after the fasting etc suggested by Flippedstars.

This is the website Meat-Based Pet Food – Premium Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food, Dog Treats – EVO Pet Products

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Hope :flower:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What did your vet suggest Karen? Little Hope has been on my mind! I hope she's doing better, although I know that colitis doesn't have a 'quick fix'.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts