Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was browsing petfinder, inquired about a chi I found there that I thought was in a shelter at first.

This one:
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Chihuahua | Albany, NY | Barkley

I brought up their adoption application and it's five pages long.
Browsing though it, I find they can come visit anytime time unannounced for the lifetime of the adopted chi?....Ummm....a bit creepy?.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I think that is a policy to protect the pets from bad placements. If you were adopting the pets to sacrifice or open a puppy mill or dog fighting gig or other undesirable activity you'd not want them to be permitted to drop in on you. iN many place animal control and the local cruelty for animals bureau can do that....

I really don't think that they actually do that. If they got a report that one of their placed pets was abused or neglected they'd be able to step in straight away .

I think it is just a safety thing for the animals.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I know a lot of rescues have that in their contract. I dont think they do it but would need to have that in the contract in case they heard something was going on and needed to investigate ;-)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yeah it's a fairly common clause in most adoption cases. The way I look at it, if I adopted a dog from some rescue where the people cared that much about them, frankly I'd probably be the type to end up getting to know and befriending them because I'd be constantly sending updates, wanting to talk and gush about how great they're doing; and I think I'd be delighted to have a surprise visit that's just all about talking about chihuahuas lol. They do it for the safety of the dog; and I'd love to know that they care that much to know he/she is doing well; and I'd be happy to reassure them that they made the right choice in placement.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm pretty sure that our adoption agreement had a similar clause. We tend to be very private people but I didn't really mind signing this because it let me know that Zippy was coming from a place that, at least in theory, had his best interests in mind.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It did seem shall I say more excessive then other adoption applications I've seen.
I would be fine with adoption people keeping in touch with me. It's the coming over unexpectedly part that has me concerned. That is a possible deal breaker.

#1 Possibly TMI?...I am somewhat of a nudist. I've had thoughts of putting up a privacy fence so I can lie down outside nude. We don't have a nude beach or I'd go there.

#2 If I return to working as an artist and have set goals for myself, then I don't want to stop working because a surprise guest came along. A lot of people view working at home as "you're available" in ways they never expect you to be when you are working outside of your home.
To add to this problem, there are people who can't tell the difference between a serious artist and a hobbyist.

#3 If I get back to my massage work, I'll have people laying on my table semi nude.
Surprise guests coming over?, awkward.

#4 I don't want people coming over when I'm not there. I don't trust people not to potentially steal or commit other crimes. This is not just being paranoid, it's been reinforced by experiences.
Seems like I keep learning more ways that I need to "watch my back".

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I cant imagine anyone coming there and poking around when your not home or even when your home without good reason ;-) Maybe this is something you should be asking them about and see what they say about it. :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
As others have said, I think thats pretty standard. It doesnt mean that they can just show up and let themselves in whenever they please. Im sure its only used if they have a reason to think the adopted pet is being mistreated, etc. I wouldnt let that stop you from adopting a pet, those strict guidelines are there to scare off crazies who want to somehow mistreat the animal or arent really serious and committed to getting a new dog.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well, I wouldn't have a problem with an unannounced visit, but I don't want anyone poking around when I'm not home and I would reserve the right NOT to answer the door if there was a good reason. I live alone and I don't answer the door after dark unless I know someone is coming and wouldn't answer the door if I didn't feel safe doing so. If a stranger knocked on the door, especially a man, I might not answer. If I knew the person from the rescue organization, it would be fine. I have a gun, and would answer the door with it in my hand if I didn't feel safe and they persisted. I'd also call the police if someone poked around without my knowledge or permission. Protecting a rescued dog is one thing. Invading someone's privacy and making them feel in danger is quite another thing. It wouldn't be a good thing to do to me!

I don't remember such a clause in the contract I signed when I adopted Lavender from a rescue organization. Doesn't really matter. Would not be a good thing if it made me feel unsafe.

Jeanette

·
Registered
809 Posts
The rescue I work with has that in their contract. We've never done a surprise, unannounced visit to an adopter. The clause is there so that if we find that you are abusing the dog we can come get him/her back.

Keep a few things in mind. 1) We are giving these dogs a second chance in life. We want to make sure they end up in the best place for them. This clause helps us weed out the adopters who aren't serious and are just wasting our time; and those who are not mentally ready for a dog. 2) We have lives too. Most rescue people work full time jobs, have homes and families, and have their own dogs as well as foster dogs to care for. We don't have time to constantly be driving around, dropping in on adoptive families all day.

We do require a home visit before the adoption but we always schedule that at a time that is best for everyone.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about but feel free to ask the organization. I will tell you that if someone bucks that clause in our contract too much I just write them off and deny them an adoption. Sounds harsh but once I explain the clause and they still think that I don't have anything better to do than drive by their house to spy on them I start to think they are not stable enough to have one of my fosters.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Forgot to say, the rescue organization did visit before I adopted Lavender, and I fully expected them to do that. They wanted to hear from me about her and I had a week to decide if I wanted to keep her or not. I don't have any problem with them keeping on track of Lavender. I love to talk about her! I won't give them "free access" to me or my home though or feel obliged to admit them when they show up unannounced. I won't give that to anyone outside of my family.

Jeanette

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I think they say "unannounced" just to let the owner know they're watching out for the dog. I don't know if they ever do it or not. If it was me, I would. I would want to make sure the dog was safe and in a happy home. Sometimes you have to be unannounced or other wise people charm it up and "pretend" the pet is in good care & being taken care of when really it's just thrown outside half the time.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think y'all are misunderstanding. The rescue organizations (at least the ones I know) don't want unlimited free access to you and your property. They don't want a house key and they don't want to come over and poke around your house and yard in their spare time. They don't expect you to sit at home and wait for them to drop by and they don't expect you not to have a life.

There is nothing wrong with working from home and not answering the door. There is nothing wrong with not answering the door to strangers at night (heck, I don't open the door to strangers during the day!).

Please realize that this is a protective clause for the dog! If you love your dog and treat it well you will likely rarely hear from the organization, maybe if they are having a fund raiser or an email to check up on the dog. What they want is the ability to come get the dog in the event something goes terribly wrong. The only time we went and got a dog back from a yard was when an owner died unexpectedly and the neighbor called us. The clause gave us the legal right to go get the dog and keep it safe rather than leave it there and have animal control go get it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Some UK organisations have this, or a similar clause in, but again, they don't actually perform "unannounced" visits. It is mainly used as a deterrent to unsuitable owners.
This country has big issues with stray, abandoned and neglected bull terrier breeds used for fighting, and when I last looked at the website for Battersea Dogs Home, there was over 900 dogs, and the majority were 'staffies' & 'pitbulls'
The last thing they want is for these dogs to end up back in the illegal dog fighting rings, or in bad hands and if the potential new owner wasnt legit or serious about giving a loving home this clause acts as a huge NO NO.

Also, pretty much ALL rescue centres here do home checks before allowing the pet to come home with you, and some visit a few weeks after (pre-planned appointment) to see how the pet is settling into their new home & environment, but only the once.

I have experienced this and was happy to welcome them to my home or stables, as I was confident they would be more than satisfied that the animal was being well cared for.

I would simply ask them about this if concerned, but as with what omguthrie said, if someone quizzed it too much I would feel a bit suspicious.

·
Registered
477 Posts
"I think y'all are misunderstanding. The rescue organizations (at least the ones I know) don't want unlimited free access to you and your property. They don't want a house key and they don't want to come over and poke around your house and yard in their spare time. They don't expect you to sit at home and wait for them to drop by and they don't expect you not to have a life."

Yes, I agree. We single gals get very protective! I live in a mobile home and have a small yard. It would be hard to hide a puppy mill or dog fighting operation. I also live on a dead end street and know the cars that belong here and the people who drive them. Someone driving around would be noticed and they might find themselves explaining their presence to the police. There are six single women on this street, three on one side and three on the other. Folks from the organization I adopted Lavender from would be welcome at my house. I would be happy to let them see Lavender and spend some time with us and see how well she's getting along. I'm just careful about opening the door to just anyone and would be aware of strangers in the area.

Jeanette

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I think that chi may have been adopted, because It says pic has been removed?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts