Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to ask.. is Kahlua an applehead or deerhead?

Originally I thought deerhead; BUT that was going by "deer type" as in long nose, etc. So I actually don't know how to define the shape of her head itself..

Because really her head itself is more flat. I probably shouldn't be asking this after being here for so long but I'm curious.. I always thought it had to do with the angle between skull/snout, which I read on here wasn't the case.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like she has a very rounded dome and a defined stop, so Id say applehead too. She does have a longer snout, but not the gradual slope from her head to her snout that you see with a deer. Certainly a cutie :)
Thank you!! I like this explanation.. it makes sense to me now lol

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I did a whole bunch of research to determine the difference between an apple head and a deer head chihuahua because the subject was SO confusing to me. Unfortunately, I was even MORE confused after the research! :mad:

For the purposes of confirmation, showing etc the akc describes the head shape thus: (emphasis mine.) A well rounded "apple dome" skull, with or without molera. Expression – Saucy. Eyes - Full, round, but not protruding, balanced, set well apart-luminous dark or luminous ruby. Light eyes in blond or white-colored dogs permissible. Blue eyes or a difference in the color of the iris in the two eyes, or two different colors within one iris should be considered a serious fault. Ears – Large, erect type ears, held more upright when alert, but flaring to the sides at a 45 degree angle when in repose, giving breadth between the ears. Stop – Well defined. When viewed in profile, it forms a near 90 degree angle where muzzle joins skull. Muzzle – Moderately short, slightly pointed. Cheeks and jaws lean.

The akc doesn't differentiate between apple head and deer head. If the dog doesn't look like the above description, it's a fault. But if you search the web, you'll get all kinds of opinions about apple heads vs deer heads........

he term apple head is used to describe any chihuahua with a round or ‘dome-like’ head similar to the shape of an apple. the upper part of the chihuahua’s skull is wider than the lower part in the jaw area.

the term deer head is used to describe any chihuahua that does not have the characteristic apple shaped head. deer head chihuahuas tend to have a longer noses and a head shape similar to that of a miniature young deer.

Chihuahua's are either Apple heads or Deer heads.* Apple head Chihuahua's have a short nose and their head is shaped similar to that of an apple.* Deer head Chihuahua's have a longer nose than Apple Head's and they often resemble a Doberman Pinscher.* Deer head is the term used to describe any Chihuahua that does not have the characteristic apple shaped head.

Apple head is a term used to describe a Chihuahua whose head is round and dome-shaped, like an apple. The head is broader at the top than at the jawline.
Deer Head Characteristics
Deer head Chihuahuas have narrower skulls and longer noses than apple heads. As the name implies, the head has the shape of a deer's head.

:foxes15:

Confused yet? :coolwink:

Both Tango and Jazz have rounded heads, Tango's a little rounder than Jazz. Both have well defined stops. Both have heads broader at the top than at the jawline. But both also have long, somewhat pointed muzzles, Tango's a little more pointed than Jazz. Because of that, it gives them a look that's very different than, say, Quigley (member QuigleysMom.) And from all the photos I've seen over time of Champion chis, I'd say Quigley is a decent example of the breed standard.

So, by one criteria Tango and Jazz are deer heads. But by another, they're apple heads.

Go figure! :nshocked2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts