Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we were in Florida, ticks were never really an issue. In VA, that seems to be different. We have woods in our backyard. I took Zeus out this morning and about 15 minutes later I saw this dot on his belly. I looked and sure enough it was a tick. My husband and I got it out. It hadn't yet begun to bury itself deep.

What can I do to help prevent ticks from attaching? In Florida where we lived, there really was no need for topicals. I just always combed him to make sure there were no fleas on him, plus I kept my yard well sprayed. In Florida, Zeus never had a flea or tick on him. I know ticks can carry disease so naturally this has me very concerned. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Nate, if you read this, I'd really welcome your advice. :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I used frontline on Gadget.. This is the first month... boy he didn't like me rubbing in tho... I guess he was still sore from his chipping...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For anyone who has used Frontline, did you notice any reactions or redness to the skin? I'm so nervous about putting topicals on Zeus. I've always liked using natural oatmeal/aloe types of shampoos with no added harsh chemicals.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I've always used Frontline on Lily and never had a problem. When I open one up I let her sniff it (because you must let Lily sniff everything :lol: ) and she turns her back to me so I can rub it into her neck. Such a good girl. :)

When we go walking in the woods I make sure to check her thoroughly afterwards. Never had a tick.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
NoahFL, sorry so late! =) To answer your questions in order, once you've seen one tick, it's time to go on preventatives. Here in Los Angeles, my dogs are on Advantage because we don't have ticks or heartworm, but we sure as heck have fleas. Ticks reproduce and take over woodsy areas very quickly, and if you don't protect your little guy they will try and use him as a buffet.

The meds that have been mentioned already are good, Frontline (not Plus) and Revolution (as long as he his heartworm tested already) do a decent job of keeping ticks away from dogs, but if the infestation is in neighboring trees, I would consider hiring an exterminator. The next thing you could do is find out what kind of ticks they are, I would be more worried if they are deer ticks or brown dog ticks, which carry lyme disease and ricketssia respectfully.

Now, in response to your question about hairloss or irritation from chronic use of flea products...I will be honest, we have seen a few dogs with hairloss in "that" area, that we have thought chronic application of immiticides to possible cause. Sadie has a little spot of thinned hair there that ...may...be from that, but I'm not sure. Supposedly all the research they've done on the drugs indicate they are non-carcinogenic and do not kill hair follicles, but I would watch the spot, and also rotate where you apply it on a monthly basis (from the base of the neck to the middle of the shoulders) so if the cells are being damaged, they have time to recuperate.

Hope this helps, PM me if you have any other questions!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
I used frontline on Gadget.. This is the first month... boy he didn't like me rubbing in tho... I guess he was still sore from his chipping...
I think they hate it because the alcohol content (which makes it dry faster) feels so cold!!

Also, as long as you get it very close to the skin, you don't need to rub it in, it will all get absorbed just fine (and save your fingers from drying out!).

I'm chuckling a little because I'm picturing my own dogs and how much they hate the applications.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget has such thick hair that it is hard to get it under the hair and on the skin...

he didn't want me touching that area at all... but we live under trees and I have to keep him safe from those nasty ticks...

I wish us humans had a topical tick repelent.. hehehhe

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Frontline Topspot kills adult fleas and prevents tick infestation where as Frontline Plus has an additional agent that disrupts the genetics of the adult fleas so that they cannot lay viable eggs and also kills larvae, so Frontline Plus is advertised to prevent the egg stage of fleas as well.

To be honest, I just realized they released a product for dogs under 22 pounds. Prior to this year they only had Frontline Plus for dogs over 22 pounds due to some problems with testing the product in smaller dogs. I'm not quite sure why it was released later, but now it's around so perhaps it's safe to use.

As far as giving Lily half the dose, I see no harm as long as you are seeing good results. We're always taught to use the smallest effective dose since the substance is toxic to a certain extent. If you are still seeing an abundance of live fleas, or ineffective prevention of ticks, you may need to use the whole tube.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I believe the tick that bit him was a nymph deer tick based on some pictures I saw on the internet. This happened yesterday morning and Zeus is acting normal and there is no redness where the bite was. The tick came off him very easily, so I'm guessing it was only there about 15 minutes.

The problem is part of our back yard is considered Wetlands and we're not allowed to do anything with it except take out dead or diseased vegetation/trees (even though it's our property). As soon as we get grass put in, I'm going to hire an exterminator to treat at least the yard that is grassy. I will ask our association if we can have the area at least sprayed for fleas and ticks. I do have 2 indoor cats, but I think the main concern is Zeus since he goes outside. I just moved to VA and haven't found a vet yet, but I"m either going to go to go to the vet clinic that is located inside PetSmart and get some Frontline or order it online.

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just ordered it online from a store I use a lot (www.drsfostersmith.com). They are running a special on it; 6 applications for $47.99 compared to other online stores which were $55+ for the 6 month supply. I decided to go with just Frontline instead of the Plus. I really hate putting any type of chemicals on Zeus, but I realize I have to do this. I am so paranoid now taking him out back. After I wash his feet, I take a flea comb (just bought it today) and run it on his back to make sure there are no fleas or ticks.

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I have the Plus (half strength) and have no problem with Kemo but he is half the weight of Bindi so....she has K9 Advantix so I will see how that works and its terribly expensive. I am keeping Kemo on the FLP....I was told the Plus also helped with the ticks and LYME disease and we have that here. Nate is saying something other than my vet said...now I must look into it too! :?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I ammended my first response in my second post-they now carry FLP in 1-22lb category, they used to only have 22lb and up, and I didn't realize that since we don't carry FLP at the hospital anymore since Merial decided that it can't compete against Revolution.

So, anyhow, FLP is safe to use, I'm still not quite sure why they haven't done away with FLtopspot all together, if they have a second product that does the same, and more. Both FLP and FLTS protect against ticks, so either one you use you will be fine.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
ilovesadie said:
I ammended my first response in my second post-they now carry FLP in 1-22lb category, they used to only have 22lb and up, and I didn't realize that since we don't carry FLP at the hospital anymore since Merial decided that it can't compete against Revolution.

So, anyhow, FLP is safe to use, I'm still not quite sure why they haven't done away with FLtopspot all together, if they have a second product that does the same, and more. Both FLP and FLTS protect against ticks, so either one you use you will be fine.
I know you ammended that is not what concerned me LOL--its just the difference about what the "plus" part does :D

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Kemo's mamma, I normally will agree with most vets, but not when the facts are published otherwise. Both Topspot and Plus kill all stages of the 4 major species of ticks. The only published difference is the addition of S-methoprene along with Fipronil which disrupts the lifecycle of the flea at the larva and egg point.

I'm still wary as to why they all of a sudden changed the box label from "11-22lb" to "Up to 22lb" while keeping the dose the same. There has to be a reason it was thought not to be safe for dogs under 11 pounds before. I will have to do a little more investigation on this for you guys.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Contacted our Merial rep regarding this situation. Apparently, even though S-methoprene is non-toxic to mammals (flea sterilizer), the problem was not with the drug itself, but with the licensing for dogs under 11 pounds.

The problem is that there are not enough toy-breed dogs available for laboratory testing (most of these dogs are shelter dogs, unfortunately, and the young or toy-breeds are the most easily adopted, thus, there is a lack of them for testing) to gain a license for this product until earlier this year. Now it has been licensed, tested, and approved for use in dogs under 11 pounds as long as they are older than 8 weeks.

I also confirmed that the only difference between Plus and Topspot is the methoprene which only affects female fleas, not ticks, and thus has nothing to do with being more effective tick preventative.

Hope that helps!

-Nate

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
ilovesadie said:
Kemo's mamma, I normally will agree with most vets, but not when the facts are published otherwise. Both Topspot and Plus kill all stages of the 4 major species of ticks. The only published difference is the addition of S-methoprene along with Fipronil which disrupts the lifecycle of the flea at the larva and egg point.

I'm still wary as to why they all of a sudden changed the box label from "11-22lb" to "Up to 22lb" while keeping the dose the same. There has to be a reason it was thought not to be safe for dogs under 11 pounds before. I will have to do a little more investigation on this for you guys.
geez then i dont need to get the Plus........but then again fleas are not my kind of friends!! LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts