Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ziva my little min pin is going to be getting a 'partial' spay today. She will have the uterus/horns, & cervix removed, the ovaries will be left intact. After tons of research this is the method I feel most confident about after back & forth, research, talking to several vets etc. My dad has done only a couple of them in 40 years and the dogs didn't have problems. His concern is the possibility of mammary tumors later in life, but the research I am doing mammary tumors have many causes, hormones, diet, environment, vaccines etc, and since Ziva is naturally raised (well since 4 months on), I'm hoping that won't be a problem. I know of several people who have treated tumors homeopathically & they've resolved on their own as well. Anyways keep Ziva in your thoughts that all will go well with her surgery.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Will be thinking of Ziva. Let us know how everything goes. I have never heard of this type of spay. Very interesting.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Heather, I think you and your dad are on the cutting edge! Leaving the ovaries for the hormonal benefit sounds like a good thing to do. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck. Hope it all goes well.

Just out of interest, I've prob missed it somewhere, but other than removing the womb etc why is this type of spay better than the 'normal' sort?

(sorry if you have already posted it)

X
Here's a link I posted a few weeks back that has some information:
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-health/55980-partial-spay.html

Benefits:
Hormonal Imbalance resulting in obesity, cardiac stress & urinary incontinece won't be a problem.

This is an excellent article talks about the importance of hormones:
Emails to Clients About Spaying « DogtorJ.com :: Food Intolerance in Pets & Their People :: Home of The GARD

A study which basically pointed out dogs with ovaries lived longer:
Exploring mechanisms of sex differences in longevity: lifetime ovary exposure and exceptional longevity in dogs - Waters - 2009 - Aging Cell - Wiley Online Library

Hysterectomy

Clip from Dr. Belfield :
I once performed this procedure on a bitch that was permitted to run loose, needless to say all of the males were tearing down fences, fighting one another to win the prize. This infuriated all human members in the neighborhood, the owner insisted I remove the remaining ovary. These are the ones I do not recommend for the procedure. As a rule, estrus alternates between the two ovaries twice annually. The first animal I performed the
surgery on was my own German Shepherd, she had a wonderful long life. It also has a tendency to minimize fat metabolism. The gonadotropic hormones definitely play an important role in immune function. Most of the dogs with allergies tend to be those that have been altered compared to whole animals. I do agree, it does offer a more normal life for the female. I have also performed vasectomies on males with the same positive results.
Wendell O. Belfield, DVM

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She is out of surgery, waking up in my arms as I type this. She's not a happy girl.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just had to wrap her belly she's bleeding a bit from the incision. :-(

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, interestingly enough she still weighs less than Zoey does, she is 6 months old weighs 4.1#, Zoey ranges from 4.3-4.5#. Ziva is going to be a tiny little thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts