Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I know I don't have the ability to prepare raw food, plus for me it would gross me out. However, I finally looked at Ziwipeak after reading about it over and over again here. I have a question, how long would an 11 lb bag last feeding a 5 pound adult dog? I generally feed her twice a day. When I feed dry she gets 1/8 cup. I'm trying to look at this on a cost basis. I would buy from amazon since I am a prime member and get free shipping. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby weighs about 5.3 pounds and is an active almost 1 year old. I would assume he would eat a bit more than an older dog about the same weight. He eats a little less than 1/3 of the included scoop per meal. So maybe 1/4 scoop per meal? 1 scoop is not the same as 1 cup, so make sure you use the scoop.

The scoop is included with the bag. There is a calculator on the Ziwipeak website that will give you a good starting point. If you notice her gaining weight, remove a few squares per meal. If she loses weight, add a few squares per meal. It's really about feeding to body type.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I feed my dog as if she were 7.5 pounds (ideal weight) and she eats about 1/2 a scoop or 1 ounce of Ziwipeak. This is how much she needs to maintain her ideal weight too. She is almost 5 years old and spayed, not super active. A more active young dog may need more.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
If you just have one dog, I would go with the smaller bags. One bag would last you a month at least.. She would probably get between 1/4 and 1/3 scoop per meal.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the replies. I did look at the feeding guide. It looks like .7 of a scoop per day would do it for an active 4 year old. That is roughly $30.00 a month. Wow, Lady's breeder used 4health brand food (sweet potato and salmon). I have used one 5 lb. bag in 2 1/2 months. I am trying to decide if the cost of upgrading food is with it. $30.00 a month is quite an upgrade. Maybe I should just break down and buy my own raw items and cut it up. I just know my schedule is not conducive to this and truthfully, yuck! That 's just me! Does anyone sprinkle a little Ziwipeak over regular dry food or feed one Ziwipeak meal and one regular meal per day?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I did look at the feeding guide. It looks like .7 of a scoop per day would do it for an active 4 year old. That is roughly $30.00 a month. Wow, Lady's breeder used 4health brand food (sweet potato and salmon). I have used one 5 lb. bag in 2 1/2 months. I am trying to decide if the cost of upgrading food is with it. $30.00 a month is quite an upgrade. Maybe I should just break down and buy my own raw items and cut it up. I just know my schedule is not conducive to this and truthfully, yuck! That 's just me! Does anyone sprinkle a little Ziwipeak over regular dry food or feed one Ziwipeak meal and one regular meal per day?
You could do one Ziwipeak meal in the morning and one raw meal in the evening. Or other way around, whatever is best for you. Then the Ziwipeak would last you twice as long. Since the Ziwipeak is balanced, you wouldn't need to worry about balancing the raw. You would just feed various boneless meats, mainly red if you can. I also feed a pork rib for a meal about 2 - 3 times a week for dental benefits. Edible bones aren't necessary since Ziwipeak is already high enough in calcium.

I know quite a few people who do this to lower the cost of Ziwipeak and not have to go whole raw since they're not ready :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts