Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some threads about which people like the best it seemed people like ziwipeak. I was wondering why? How long does a two pound bag last? Lola should be about 4.5 pounds. Is it because of the convenience or the ingredients. This is my first time hearing about freeze dried so I was curious. I am sick of struggling to get Lola to eat organs so I was thinking about adding this to my prey diet or switching entirely. Do people find their dogs teeth stay as clean on a pre made or freeze dried. I was wondering if people had to also give bones sometimes to help clean the teeth.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I fed it to Toby for a long time, but he unfortunately couldn't tolerate it with his tummy issues. I would recommend it to anyone!

It includes meat, bone, and organ and is fully balanced. But you just scoop and serve it like kibble! It comes in lamb, venison, and venison and fish. It isn't freeze dried or frozen, it's air dried. So it literally looks like small squares of jerky.

A 2.2 lb bag lasted Toby (who is just over 5 pounds) about 6 weeks.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I use ziwipeak because of the ingredients AND the convenience. I also feed kibble so a bag lasts us quite awhile. I would definitely recommend feeding raw bone for dental health. I still feed a raw bone (usually a chicken neck but occasionally elk or bison) 2-3 times per week depending on poops.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was wondering if any of the nutrients would be lost and the frozen would be a better choice. The biggest thing I worry about is dental health her teeth are so beautiful. Seems giving a bone a few times a week is a good idea. I tired Stella and chewys yesterday she refused it. I got some primal to try.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I was wondering if any of the nutrients would be lost and the frozen would be a better choice. The biggest thing I worry about is dental health her teeth are so beautiful.
Well the dental health from raw mostly comes from raw meaty bones and ripping the food. So you aren't going to get the same level on Ziwipeak as you do on prey model raw. But in my experience, their teeth stay pretty white. If you choose to go fully to Ziwipeak, it would still be a good idea to let her have a chicken wing or rib every once in a while for her teeth.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the dental health from raw mostly comes from raw meaty bones and ripping the food. So you aren't going to get the same level on Ziwipeak as you do on prey model raw. But in my experience, their teeth stay pretty white. If you choose to go fully to Ziwipeak, it would still be a good idea to let her have a chicken wing or rib every once in a while for her teeth.

I thought that was true. I spoke to the people who run the only decent pet store in the area and they swear by frozen and clean teeth. I will definitely add bones weekly I know that is a huge part of keeping your dogs teeth white. Lola's teeth are as bright white as my puppy's.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ziwipeak is good but I couldn't find my dog could tolerate it on its own, would get loose stools regardless of the amount I fed.
However it is a good food and I always have a bag of it around for lazy days when I haven't defrosted something, I also feed premade minces as my boy needs quite bone heavy meals and I find them along with chicken wing tips a good source of it.
But I also feed various meats/fish on the bone with sometimes organs still intact depending where I've bought it from ( rabbit being a fave )
So yeah... I feed a bit of everything in his raw diet lol.

Have you tried feeding the organ in different ways or from different animals? somtimes they just don't liek the texture you could try feeding it frozen, searing it in the pan quickly, or hiding it in the food, but you may have already tried this.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ziwipeak is good but I couldn't find my dog could tolerate it on its own, would get loose stools regardless of the amount I fed.
However it is a good food and I always have a bag of it around for lazy days when I haven't defrosted something, I also feed premade minces as my boy needs quite bone heavy meals and I find them along with chicken wing tips a good source of it.
But I also feed various meats/fish on the bone with sometimes organs still intact depending where I've bought it from ( rabbit being a fave )
So yeah... I feed a bit of everything in his raw diet lol.

Have you tried feeding the organ in different ways or from different animals? somtimes they just don't liek the texture you could try feeding it frozen, searing it in the pan quickly, or hiding it in the food, but you may have already tried this.
I sear it I am going to try hiding it. Honestly it is getting old. I have an older dog who is having issues right now so there is alot of work in the morning taking care of her becasue she cannot walk for 2 months. I was hoping if I supplemented with ziwipeak or pre made I could give the bone meal at night. Luckily my other three eat liver no problem Lola tried it once now she will not even look at it she is starting to reject it when it is seared. I guess I am feeling lazy at the moment. I got the idea because one of my other dogs is on a soft diet for a week so I thought this would be a simple way to get organs in her and I could do one bone meal a day and one pre made.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
A bag of ZP should last a month for 1 dog. I feed ZP, sometimes pre-made raw and the balance is raw meaty bones & dehydrated organs & meat I do myself.

It's a battle because none of my dogs love to eat anything, they just eat to survive i.e. I can put out raw meaty bones or chicken wings etc. & they can leave them sitting for hours & hours before they'll begrudgingly eat them, sigh. The ONLY thing they love is the dehydrated organs which are given as treats every few days.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I spoke to the woman at ziwipeak she said they use ziwipeak for one meal and rmb for the other with their labs. I wish I could find a place around here that sells it in case it upsets her stomach. She said for Lola at 5 pounds at two meals a day a two pound bag would last about 21 days. So it looks like the big difference is ziwipeak in their venison one only contains deer products where the brands like primal contain other ingredients including veggie matter. Looks like ziwipeak follows a pmr type diet as far as ingredients but is in a freeze dried form. I like that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A bag of ZP should last a month for 1 dog. I feed ZP, sometimes pre-made raw and the balance is raw meaty bones & dehydrated organs & meat I do myself.

It's a battle because none of my dogs love to eat anything, they just eat to survive i.e. I can put out raw meaty bones or chicken wings etc. & they can leave them sitting for hours & hours before they'll begrudgingly eat them, sigh. The ONLY thing they love is the dehydrated organs which are given as treats every few days.
I have learned it is pretty impossible to get a dog to eat something they don't want. My doxies eat anything Lola is picky.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I love ZP. I feed one meal ZP & one meal raw. I don't do bones. It's too complicated & time-consuming for me to get the right mixture of organs & stuff, so I rely on ZP being a complete formula for all her needs. She's not picky & loves her meals. Thank goodness because she doesn't have any other choices because of allergies. ZP also claims that their meat is grass-fed which is another plus in my book. I buy the 11 lb bag which seems to last forever. I keep a small amount in the fridge & have the rest in the freezer.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered a bag of venison I will experiment with one meal if that and one meal of meaty nine. I just don't want to lose the dental affects from the bone. If I supplement one meal a day I know she will be getting the organs she needs without a fught to get her to eat them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I feed ziwipeak because I'm a vegetarian and can't bare touching raw meat. I've never had any problems with it at all and my dogs love it. It's helped Charlie lose weight and got rid of his tear stains. I would like to feed some raw bones for teeth cleaning and for fun but really don't know if I could bring myself to touch it! X

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Mel, try wearing rubber gloves. I used to be vegan, so I understand how you feel. I can honestly say that handling the dogs meat doesn't bother me now. You just need to work up to it gradually.
Raw meaty bones are great for keeping teeth clean, but if feeding a quality meat based diet including Ziwi Peak and the quality kibbles, the teeth will not get as dirty as when feeding carb heavy, grain based kibbles.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Meat really scares me lol! Sounds stupid but I don't like looking at it or anything. I can cope with it if it doesn't look like an animal, like if it's cooked little pieces of chicken or something I don't mind it but like if it's a full chicken I don't like to look!
Both Charlie and Bailey have had their teeth checked at the vets and they are both perfect. I think they would enjoy it though! What would be the best thing to give them just as an occasional treat? And also would I have to go to a butchers or can I get something from a local supermarket? Butchers shops are too scary for me to go in because of the animals they have hung up but suppose I could get my mum to go in! X

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
You can get lamb and pork ribs at the meat counter in supermarkets, some even have them pre-packaged. Chicken wings are pre-packaged too. Butchers shops used to make me physically sick (I think it was the smell) so I totally get where you are coming from.
If you can get someone to pack the ribs/wings individually in plastic bags for you you can freeze them, and when you want to feed them, just defrost and tip straight from the bag into their bowls or the area you want them to eat them. No need to touch them at all. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts