Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try Pip and Roo on this. I'm still going to use THK, but want to try this as well. They have it at a local shop near me too which is nice.

For those that feed or have fed it, which version do your pups seem to like best? Did you use the pouch or the wet? (I think I'm going to go with the pouch.) How much do you feed? Pip is down to 5.1 pounds now and Roo is at 4.4 lbs. Should they get about the same amount? I remember seeing people post pics and it looks like such a tiny amount.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Yea! I was wondering a few things myself about ZP. I have two pouches that I got as samples from the company. I've had them in the freezer and I'm thinking about adding a teaspoon once a day to one of Midgies THK feedings.
I also heard that some add water to the ZP. How much water? My vet told me not to give her too much ZP at 1st as she is sure Midgie would get diarhea.
Sorry I couldn't help answer your question, but I look forward to hearing how your pups like ZP.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We use both the wet & dehydrated in our rotation (and both of those is all Mari will eat atm). When we fed ZP for a month this past fall I fed mainly the dehydrated/pouch & added a tbsp of the wet to one meal a day. It sort of added some "bulk" because my lot, unlike most, lost some weight with just the dehydrated. The wet was just enough to even it out.

They love love love the wet & dry both about the same. And they really have no preference between the dehydrated formula's. (I personally prefer the smell of the venison formulas if that matters LOL) They have tried them all & like them all the same. They do go absolutely ga-ga over the wet tripe ZP though. :tard:

I can't wait to hear how you like the ZP. I really REALLY prefer it over THK but I do think THK is a great food as well. Just like the ZP where it's just meat & organ so I feel better about feeding it. Anyway...good luck!!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I've tried both pouch ZP formulas, the Venison and the Venison/Fish formula, and my dogs not only liked them equally they all did equally well on both. Both of them smell a little offensive to me so it's not like one smelled better than the other. lol My sibe is typically sensitive to fish so I prefer to stick with the Venison formula but I just fed the Venison/Fish pouch formula of Ziwipeak last night to all three and no one had any tummy troubles at all, including my husky. I can't help with serving sizes since I mix my ZP with The Honest Kitchen and I only put in about 1-2 tablespoons of ZP with 1/6 cup of Honest Kitchen.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea! I was wondering a few things myself about ZP. I have two pouches that I got as samples from the company. I've had them in the freezer and I'm thinking about adding a teaspoon once a day to one of Midgies THK feedings.
I also heard that some add water to the ZP. How much water? My vet told me not to give her too much ZP at 1st as she is sure Midgie would get diarhea.
Sorry I couldn't help answer your question, but I look forward to hearing how your pups like ZP.
I'll definitely post about it. :) That's great that you got samples, I hadn't thought of that, but will probably just buy some. I feel pretty confident mine will like it. As far as the diarrhea, I guess a slow switch is always best, but I put mine directly on THK and they had no problems at all. Whereas with kibble I always had to do a very slow switch.

We use both the wet & dehydrated in our rotation (and both of those is all Mari will eat atm). When we fed ZP for a month this past fall I fed mainly the dehydrated/pouch & added a tbsp of the wet to one meal a day. It sort of added some "bulk" because my lot, unlike most, lost some weight with just the dehydrated. The wet was just enough to even it out.

They love love love the wet & dry both about the same. And they really have no preference between the dehydrated formula's. (I personally prefer the smell of the venison formulas if that matters LOL) They have tried them all & like them all the same. They do go absolutely ga-ga over the wet tripe ZP though. :tard:

I can't wait to hear how you like the ZP. I really REALLY prefer it over THK but I do think THK is a great food as well. Just like the ZP where it's just meat & organ so I feel better about feeding it. Anyway...good luck!!
Thanks so much, Heather. :) Mine do really well on THK, so I'm always leery to mess with a good thing, but Ziwi seems excellent, so I feel good about adding it. Plus I don't add meat to THK (I'm a vegetarian and don't have meat in the house, well, other than for the pups, lol) so I sometimes worry a little that it might be lacking. I think I'd feel better either adding Ziwipeak or using it for a meal. Plus it would add some variety.

I've tried both pouch ZP formulas, the Venison and the Venison/Fish formula, and my dogs not only liked them equally they all did equally well on both. Both of them smell a little offensive to me so it's not like one smelled better than the other. lol My sibe is typically sensitive to fish so I prefer to stick with the Venison formula but I just fed the Venison/Fish pouch formula of Ziwipeak last night to all three and no one had any tummy troubles at all, including my husky. I can't help with serving sizes since I mix my ZP with The Honest Kitchen and I only put in about 1-2 tablespoons of ZP with 1/6 cup of Honest Kitchen.
Thanks Val. :) That's good that none of yours had any tummy troubles, my main concern would be Pip as he's more sensitive, but it's a pure food so he really should be fine hopefully. I like the idea of adding it to THK too. I guess I'll see how it goes, not sure how I'll end up feeding it, alone or mixed, probably some of both. I'm going to try and get out and pick some up on Saturday. I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
MoJie is the one with sensitive stomach and ZiwiPeak (dry) won't give him diarrhea.....I think probably 1/2 a cup a day is good .....

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MoJie is the one with sensitive stomach and ZiwiPeak (dry) won't give him diarrhea.....I think probably 1/2 a cup a day is good .....
Thank you. :) A half cup yeah? Hmm.. I thought it might be less. It always looked like such a small amount when I've seen people post pics. Do those of you who use the dehydrated mix it with water?

Heather, you mentioned yours losing weight on it. I really hope that doesn't happen with Roo. I don't want her to lose any weight. I think she is verging on a little too thin right now. She's lost weight on THK, compared to when I fed her kibble. I wonder if it might be the same with the Ziwi. Of course, I could feed a bit more.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Thank you. :) A half cup yeah? Hmm.. I thought it might be less. It always looked like such a small amount when I've seen people post pics. Do those of you who use the dehydrated mix it with water?

Heather, you mentioned yours losing weight on it. I really hope that doesn't happen with Roo. I don't want her to lose any weight. I think she is verging on a little too thin right now. She's lost weight on THK, compared to when I fed her kibble. I wonder if it might be the same with the Ziwi. Of course, I could feed a bit more.
I'm using the cup that come with it...(I think it's smaller than the cup for cooking..)...it's 1/2 scoop a day ......

for TucTuc he's around 4 lb 11 oz ... I feed him 10 pieces and also a tablespoon of the canned and mix in just a little of water.....

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The majority usually gain weight probably because it's SO easy to over feed. :) My pups always seem to require more raw food than most for whatever reason. But we feed between 1/4-1/3 scoop twice a day depending on our pups. (Matilda, Milo & Marley require a bit more than the others) And we also add water (about 2oz) to their meal as well just to make sure they get some hydration at the time of processing.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I have started using the ZP and mine adore it. I think, according to you guys, I might be overfeeding them still. Ugh. Trying to shave two pounds off Coop and 1/2 lb. off Chloe. THK makes mine go potty twice as much as the raw and Ziwi so I'm just kind of experimenting.

Maybe I should get some canned also and play with that. I've never added water to the dehydrated???

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Oh & the wet definitely seems more "rich". When we tried THK I added 1tbsp of wet ZP to every meal & it definitely bulked them up a bit. Saying that...my pups lost a bunch of weight when switching to raw to begin with so their loss on ZP may have had something to do with that & may have continued to be normal weight loss. I'd not worry about it making Roo loose more weight. Just monitor their weight while adding it in. It will probably take some trial/error to get the quantity "right" where every dog has a different metabolic rate, etc.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Oh & the wet definitely seems more "rich". When we tried THK I added 1tbsp of wet ZP to every meal & it definitely bulked them up a bit. Saying that...my pups lost a bunch of weight when switching to raw to begin with so their loss on ZP may have had something to do with that & may have continued to be normal weight loss. I'd not worry about it making Roo loose more weight. Just monitor their weight while adding it in. It will probably take some trial/error to get the quantity "right" where every dog has a different metabolic rate, etc.
Heather, mine adore the ZP. I'm so glad you suggested it. Should I be adding water to the dehydrated? I never even thought of that.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think Ziwi would be a great addition to your THK! The NICE thing is that they poo a lot less on it. It shouldn't cause Roo to lose weight, I don't think, but I understand why you are wary of that, for sure :) Mine all seem to like all the formulas but the venison smells the "least" offensive to me hahaha. I am not smell sensitive and TBH I really don't like how they smell.

Ours LOVE the cans, but in the future we won't get the one with the fish in it, it smells like vomit to me and I just can't handle it. The nice thing is 1 can feeds my crew for an entire day, so if we are busy we just pop open a can. A can would last yours much longer though so you'd have to figure out how to keep it fresh if you didn't want to feed it every meal.

Let us know what they think! Between THK, Ziwi and the frozen raws, my guys are happy happy hippos ;)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I've left mine in the fridge for a few days covered with plastic wrap & it stays pretty moist. They do make can covers though which would probably keep it better.

Someone here mentioned a ZP rep suggested they add water to it & it does make sense. Then again I firmly believe you should add water to kibble (or dy food period) as well to help with processing. It takes moisture to digest properly & with foods that don't naturally have moisture I think should be fed with water. Helps keep the kidneys happy. ;)

I'm a weirdo though...I think the Venison and Venison/Fish formula smells wonderful. haha Maybe I've just grown to like it? I never thought the wet venison/fish one smelled like puke but I also opened our first can of venison green trip Tripett & didn't think it smelled that badly. :roll: I think my nose has gotten tough or something. LOL But the lamb dehydrated ZP did bug me a bit so I usually don't get the dehydrated...just the wet. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I love the smell talk I always crack up my nose is mega sensitive I'm using the venison and fish ATM and we have both the cans

If I feed it for a meal I give about 15 pieces daisy and roo are about the same weight daisy is 4lb 6oz the wet I normal give them a table spoon as a meal but the wet stinks like mad but they love It

I add water to mine too idk if it's just my girls are good with food but they chew each little jerky

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm probably doing it wrong but when I feed it as a meal I treat it like a regular raw meal so I'll give between 1.5-2.5oz of wet for each meal. LOL I dunno...my pups are all lean & muscular. I wonder why they seem to need more food than most?? I've even upped Maxie to about 2oz every meal because he was getting so boney looking. I've not weighed them in a few weeks but he was 4lbs 6oz last weigh in as well. :confused: I'd say it's the cold but Sarah...it's cold where you are too. Hmmm...weird!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody was getting a little scrawny looking, so I upped his portion a bit too Heather. He's eating about 3-4 ounces a day now instead of 2-3. Maybe it is the cold weather?

I have no problem at all freezing canned food. I just portion it out into ziplocks and squeeze the air out and stick in the freezer. It's always fresh when I open it later and Brody has no complaints at all. He would definitely go on a hunger strike if he had to eat the same thing more than a couple meals in a row and then it would be wasted.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It's freezing but mine eat between 3 and 4oz a day coz they are so flipping high energy together but I rarely feed ziwi

I freeze canned too

·
Registered
912 Posts
We have been feeding ZP for about 14 days now. :D I'm still so happy we finally have it! We got the 11lb bag of Venison and Fish (Was just over $100 on Amazon, which was $10 less than the store that offered to order it for me). I portioned it out into smaller bags to freeze and pull out fresh. In portioning it out, I counted 106 of "their scoops" in the bag. Over the first 10 days, I fed them nothing but ZP!! Those first 10 days, they ate 6 scoops worth of ZP. (I fed them three times a day, added warm water atleast once a day. They weigh about 5.9lbs, 4.3lbs, and around 4.6lbs.)

They were thrilled with eating only ZP, but now that I have more of an idea of how long it will last/how much they need, I have thrown back in raw/scrambled eggs, the ZP good dog treats, and Carnivore Crunch. They are eating a lot less of the ZP with all their other foods now, so I estimate feeding about 4-5 scoops ZP per 10 day period.

Personally, I don't mind the smell of the ZP venison and fish even a little bit. LOL. I might compare it to what the fish food flakes smell like, but not nearly as vile. Definitely tolerable. :):)

My husband always insists on feeding the pups a little more when it starts getting cold out... Even though they don't shake and shiver when we're inside, he has convinced me they are still using more energy than normal to keep themselves warm. So it makes since in my head. :tard:

SARAH: Do you feed your girls twice a day (when you feed the 15 pieces/tbspwet for Daisy)?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts