Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoey doesn't have a problem with me or when anyone in the household picks her up to hold her ((hubby & toddler)). In fact she is VERY good with my toddler who often picks her up for kisses, hugs, or even to dance around with her. BUT for some reason Zoey will not allow ANYONE else outside of the family to hold her! She will scratch and wiggle around making all efforts to get out of their arms &&& Yesterday while out for a walk she bit my neighbors daughter in the face!!! Mind you I did not give her permission to pick Zoey up BUT that does not take away from the fact that Zoey would bite her. What should I do?? How can I teach Zoey to be more friendly and that biting is not allowed?!? I'm worried because we live around a lot of kids and I would hate for this to happen again.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
#1 you need to read her signals & act accordingly. If she is obviously afraid to be held by strangers...allowing strangers to pick her up is only going to make her not like them more. I'm quite certain this is why my Matilda has grown to become a big fear biter. I was always told to make as many people hold her as possible & just make her deal with it. Well....as it turns out Chi's are a bit different. She put her trust in me to stop any "uncomfortable" actions from people & I didn't do my job so she began protecting herself the only way she knew how. Now we live with Matilda knowing we have to take extream precautions. She can not be held by "strangers" or they will be bitten. Not because she is angry with them or doesn't like them...but because she is literally afraid for her life. When it happens you can see the shear panic in her eyes & her bites are very uncoordinated. Very sad to watch & the only time I've had to watch is at the vet...but I'm sure it would happen if I let anyone pick her up.

Socializing her with many different people & situations will help her overcome this. Bring treats with you any & everywere & encourage people to treat her so she'll start relating good things to strangers. Matilda actually loves being around strangers because we socialized her like mad...she just never got over the stranger contact thing. She'd never EVER just go up to someone for the purpose of biting & would run away if reached for. But if cornered--that's what she becomes threatened.

You'll have to make sure you ask people to not pick her up. Like I said...bring treats & encourage them to treat her. Bend down to her level & move slowly. Hopefully with a lot of socialization...she'll over come her fear! :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Angelica I'm sorry to hear about Zoey! :( It's sad to see that when we only want the best for our babies and not to be scared! I don't have any advice but Heather's was awesome!! I just wanted to wish you luck with your little Zoey!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the concern and advice. I'm planning on going to the market later today to buy her some new treats ((she doesn't like the ones I have)). Hopefully she will warm up to others if they are giving her yummy treats. I'm not going to allow anyone to pick her up until I see she's ready.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Poor Zoey the child parents aren't going to do anything right? Poor baby; i'm sure you will be able to help her your a great chi mommy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mooberry- Thankfully the parents are very understanding. They have a 3month old Chi. and have been training her to play nicely with their daughter.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I agree with what has been said. I would NOT allow this chi to be picked up at all by strangers. Period.Yes she is afraid for her life. If you want to overcome this, try getting strangers to sit on the gound, and give her a treat. Then put the treat in their laps (after Zoey is taking the treats OK on the ground), then very slowly have Zoey picked up, and YOU give her treats. This may take months. Good luck. Sue (who has a fear biter too!) I decided just not to let people too near Emmie.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm going to be the unpopular opinion here and I am not flaming at all. But if I lived in a neighborhood with kids and had young kids, I honestly would probably re-home. I am a one strike and you are out when it comes to biting. I have young kids and I can't take that risk. That being said, I think the advice you are getting is sound and I hope that it is something that can be overcome. I'm so sorry this happened. How is the child that was bitten? (or maybe the bigger question is, "how are the parents handling it?")
I really am sorry this happened. (((hugs)))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts