Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: poor little zoey... lately she's been limping on one of her back legs and i suspected a luxating patella.

it's worse than that... i guess she has some sort of congenital defect in her back legs where they didn't develop completely. her knee caps are slipping in and out-- but the tendons behind her knees are also not doing their job. so for now she has to have surgery on one of her back legs and eventually she'll need surgery again on the other back leg. i guess sometimes the vet just removes the knee cap. apparently small dogs dont need em as much as big does do. (((i dunno, that's what i've heard at least))) the orthopedic surgeon will have to decide what he wants to do when he does more xrays.

this is really poor timing- i just graduated from college and i'm in the process of finding a job. everything will work out, though. i have faith.... :)

everybody, please pray for her! :wave:

i'm working on resizing a new picture to post. i'll do that asap!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Aww - poor Zoey. That's really sad news, but at least it is something that can be taken care of.

I really like your attitude - "things will work out" - and they usually do. It is much easier to cope with all of life's little problems if you have a positive outlook.

When will they schedule the surgery? After completing the rest of the tests? Please keep us updated, and give her a big hug for us.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
poor :( baby girl!!!!!!!!! geez I will pray that all goes well and smooth and at a discounted rate :D

stay in touch we miss you

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
here's a picture of the queen zoey. i'm not sure why it's posting sooo small :evil:

we taught her to give hugs. but she always seemed to give them at the worst times-- like when i was studying for finals. :lol: what a goof!! but she is just SO SWEET!

i miss you guys too!! i've been so busy lately-- hopefully i'll find a job & apartment soon and can start to settle down. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Gilly & Coco praying that Zoey's legs will get better! I'm sure they will though, vets are good with animals, they know best!

Love Gilly & Coco :D

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Zoey needing surgery........she is such a little sweetheart . Bella sends her a big hug !

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the good thoughts, guys! :)

she has an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon next friday and then we'll know when the surgery will be. it's sad because she acts completely normal -except for the occasional limping- we didn't even know her legs were in such bad shape! :(

i'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Koke has had surgery on her right back leg for Luxating Patella. She's going to have the left leg done this fall.
There used to be some information on this site about it, I don't know where it went.
Luxating Patellas are congenital.
On the outer side the ligaments get stretched from the knee cap popping out of place and on the in side the ligaments shrink from not having tension on them.
I've never heard of taking the knee cap out completly. Usually they will deepen the grove that the knee cap is suppose to sit in and shorten the outer ligament and lengthen the inner ligament. Sometimes the upper and lower ligaments need to be moved and the tibia tip has to be moved if it's in the wrong place.
Koke had her cast on for 2 weeks and has gone back for x-rays 2 times at 2 week intervals. It takes 2 to 3 months for them to start using the leg again, it's just easier for them to hike it up and hobble.

Here is a link if you want to read about it
http://www.workingdogs.com/vcpatlux.htm

Good Luck!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks so much for that info!!

your chi did okay with the surgery? i'm a little worried & am really praying for the best. :) but zoey is a trooper-- i bet she'll do great.

she also is going to have to have her other back leg done in the future. i guess her back right isn't as bad as her back left yet.

how much did the surgery cost you? :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
colleen13 said:
thanks so much for that info!!

your chi did okay with the surgery? i'm a little worried & am really praying for the best. :) but zoey is a trooper-- i bet she'll do great.

she also is going to have to have her other back leg done in the future. i guess her back right isn't as bad as her back left yet.

how much did the surgery cost you? :wave:
Yes, she did fine with the surgery.

Zoey will not be able to run or jump for about 12 weeks.
The first couple of days are the worst of coarse, and then the first couple of days after the cast comes off are a little bad.
I'm sure she'll be fine. And you will be spoiling her a lot more than normal LOL (I know I did)

So far it has cost me almost $2,000.00. That inclues all the followup x-rays and pain meds etc.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah, the estimate is about 1500 for us... but that's before followup xrays and such.

but she's so WORTH IT! i dont care how much it is. i'll just use another credit card :lol:

and yes, i'm ALREADY spoiling her more than usual and she hasnt even had her surgery yet! :D

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
The estimate they gave me was $1200. Of coarse they always estimate low LOL.
Just be prepared for it to run more than the estimate.
They charged me $20 for an E collar that Koke wore home after the cast came off. As soon as I got home I took it off of her. She did well without it after she was spayed so I knew she would be ok. They take the stiches out when they take the cast off, so the E collar was just to keep her from licking the area where the sutures used to be.
If you already have an old one, it might save you a few dollars if you mention it to them.

It will take her a few days to learn how to get around with the cast on, so you might want to put her food and water and a potty pad close to where she'll be laying.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Ms_P said:
The estimate they gave me was $1200. Of coarse they always estimate low LOL.
Our regular vet and Lily's oral surgeon (I don't know what else to call her... she just does teeth :lol: ) both tend to estimate fairly high for any procedure. They will quote you worst case numbers so there are no nasty surprises.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts