Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought Zsa Zsa home from having her surgery this morning. She's still zonked from the anesthesia, but overall seems to be doing okay. My only concern is that her incision site looks like the work of an angry Edward Scissor Hands, the overlapping of the skin at the suture site seems a bit excessive to me....but maybe I'm just being a paranoid mommy, i dunno.

I thought I should ask before just doing so, as this may not be the right forum for such a thing, but would anyone be overly grossed out or offended if I posted a photo or two of her incision? I'm wondering if this is normal or not, and would like to get dome feedback from other who've been through the surgery with their little ones.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It is normal. Once the healing starts, the skin will smooth itself out and you will be hard pressed to even see the scar after a few months.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think it's pretty normal and you're just a worried mama.

When Gretel came home hers looked okay, but the day after it had puffed out and got rock hard to the touch, but then the following few days it smoothed itself out and healed up fine. She doesn't even have a scar.

Weird stuff it can be, but certainly post pictures for feedback. I don't think it's gross and i'm sure no one would mind.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Yes you can post some pictures, I am a vet tech/assistant so can tell you if the incision looks 'normal'.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Post away... Lots of help here! I'm not a vet, but I am a nurse, and I know what an incision is supposed to look like! I'm sure it is fine! May get uglier before it heals!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Here is the picture of Zsa Zsa's incision

Picasa Web Albums - Gypsy Noire

They say laughter is the best medicine.....but get a load of this.
My vet's office is closed, but I called there a few minutes ago to get the phone number of the After hours ER vet clinic off of their answering machine. Got the number and called the ER clinic, a gilr answered the phone and i proceeded to explain that my dog just had surgery today and im a little concerned about the incision site and may end up bringing her in later depending on how she's doing.....i told her I may just be a worry wart but id rather be safe than sorry.....there was a long pause and the lady on the phone says "Well do you have an appointment?" (WTF....an appointment for the ER clinic). SO I ask....what do you mean do I have an appointment? She says well you said you wanted to being your dog in right? I said yes....but aren't you an Emergency Clinic, why would I need an appointment? She says "hold on please? She comes back and says oh ok you can bring your dog in you don't need an appointment! I was dumbfounded. I just said thank you and hung up. I thought to myself...self do you really want to take your baby to an animal hospital where even the receptionist doesn't know where she works? Ummm...No Thanks! ROFL

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Ouch! That incision looks like it hurts! :( I don't remember what the incision looked like from my two labs... but now I'm a little worried because my baby goes next week.

Also, that story about the receptionist... how hilarious is that! You need an appointment?! REALLY?! Gah! Some people... LOL.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
LOL about the emergency clinic's receptionist sounds like a ditz. That incision looks very weird, it looks red is that dried blood or is it irritated? If it's irritated she could be having a reaction to the incision. The incisions are normally a straight light not bunched like that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I thought too. I've never seen an incision all bunched up like that. I was expecting to see a nice neat little straight line with neat little stitches in a row, that thing looks like war's zone triage. The light pink area around the whole incision is her skin, it's actually gotten more flesh colored since I took that picture fours hours ago and is not so pink anymore.....I don't i'm going to get any sleep tonight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think you need to worry Emma's looked like that after we got her fixed and like you I was horrified but now 2 months later and you can hardly even see the scar now. Emma only had two stiches. I would just keep and eye on the red-ing and if it starts to look infected or if it starts to drain I would take her to the ER vet also keep an eye to see if your puppy starts running a fever which can be a sign of infection.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh Gosh....
Thank you everyone for the help and advice. I think I just need to take a chill pill and not be such a worry wart, but darn thats hard. Every time I look over and catch a glimpse of her tummy I feel horrible.

In terms of the incision site itself coming into contact with other surfaces do you think covering it would be a good idea to keep germs out?

·
Registered
384 Posts

My vet's office is closed, but I called there a few minutes ago to get the phone number of the After hours ER vet clinic off of their answering machine. Got the number and called the ER clinic, a gilr answered the phone and i proceeded to explain that my dog just had surgery today and im a little concerned about the incision site and may end up bringing her in later depending on how she's doing.....i told her I may just be a worry wart but id rather be safe than sorry.....there was a long pause and the lady on the phone says "Well do you have an appointment?" (WTF....an appointment for the ER clinic). SO I ask....what do you mean do I have an appointment? She says well you said you wanted to being your dog in right? I said yes....but aren't you an Emergency Clinic, why would I need an appointment? She says "hold on please? She comes back and says oh ok you can bring your dog in you don't need an appointment! I was dumbfounded. I just said thank you and hung up. I thought to myself...self do you really want to take your baby to an animal hospital where even the receptionist doesn't know where she works? Ummm...No Thanks! ROFL

oh the picture doesnt gross me out in anyway, looks normal for a dog out of surgey.

and lol ummm that chick is stupid, and probably new! :p

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just seen the photo u posted... Lola`s kinda looked a bit like that but she had a little dressing over hers because she oozing a little :(
After a day or 2 and the dressing fell off, it looked so much cleaner and neater and less angry looking.
Dont forget shes only just had it done so it`s going to look really bad!
Let us know how she gets on! x

·
Registered
477 Posts
surgery

haha ... once I called an office and asked for a man by name. The receptionist hesitated and finally said "Who is that?" I said I thought it was her boss. She was gone a minute and returned and said, "Yes, just a minute and I'll connect you. This is my first day!" It was a big office with a lot of people and I could understand. Lots of names to deal with.

Jeanette

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LadyJ...OMG, Lavender is absolutely stunning! She looks like a little stuffed doll in that photo. How old is she?

I'm happy to report that Zsa Zsa is doing much better this morning. Still not quite back to her bouncy self, but no longer in an anesthetic coma and the incision doesn't look nearly as Texas Chainsaw as it did yesterday. Some of the swelling as gone down and it's just barely pinkish around the site. She hasn't whined or shown any significant signs of pain or discomfort, but got pissed when she realized she couldn't just lift her leg up like normal to scratch her neck lol....so I helped her out and scratched it for it.

In terms of resuming her normal diet, she hasn't shown an interest in eating yet, but is drinking water. She's normally a really good eater. I don't want to panic too soon (again), but how long on average does it take for a puppy's appetite to return before concern should kick in?

·
Registered
162 Posts
It looks fine, and it will smooth out as it heals.... Just give her lots of hugs and kisses and try not to let her be too active (jumping and running and such). She will heal quickly, I'm sure!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Zsa Zsa's spay

LadyJ...OMG, Lavender is absolutely stunning! She looks like a little stuffed doll in that photo. How old is she?

My sweet little Lavender is two years old. She's a rescue and I was so very lucky to find her. She had been in rescue for a bit because they were being so careful about where she went. She's gorgeous and very sweet, gentle and calm, full of love and fun. She has helped me and my Bichon boy, Cosmo, heal after losing our Bichon girl. She's a treasure!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Glad Zsa Zsa is doing well. Been there, done that. When my girl Bichon was spayed, I held her and rocked her for two days. She got along fine, never complained or acted like she was in pain, but I sure was! When my little four-pound Chi was spayed some years ago, I didn't think I'd survive. Was so worried about her, but she did fine, too. Lavender was already spayed when I got her, thank goodness. Boys are soooo much easier!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts